News By Tag
News By Location
Carbon Monoxide Suspected in Deaths of Five People
The building sciences and indoor air quality (IAQ) professionals at Sussex Environmental Health Consultants help detect dangerous gas levels.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell carbon monoxide, it can kill you before you are aware it is in even in your home.
At lower levels of exposure, carbon monoxide causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of carbon monoxide exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
There are many potential sources of carbon monoxide in the home. They include: unvented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; automobile exhaust from attached garages; and even tobacco smoke.
“Carbon monoxide is a silent and deadly killer if allowed to accumulate in an indoor environment,”
SEHC recently sponsored an educational video about carbon monoxide dangers that can be seen at:
To learn more about carbon monoxide or other environmental and IAQ issues, please visit http://www.sussexenvironmental.com, email susan.white@
About Sussex Environmental Health Consultants, LLC
SEHC is a certified woman owned business that provides environmental and health and safety consulting services. The company is located in the Mid-Atlantic and services customers nationwide. SEHC provides solutions to clients ranging from homeowners to international Fortune 500 Corporations.