News By Tag
* Odebrecht Award
* Sustainable Development
* Economic Development
* More Tags...
News By Location
Odebrecht Award for Sustainable Development Releases Names of Judges for 2012 Program
World-class experts to determine winning sustainable development ideas in $65,000 award competition.
• Harvey M. Bernstein, McGraw-Hill Construction:
• John Briscoe, Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences: A specialist in water and economic development policies, Briscoe holds joint appointments as professor in the Practice of Environmental Engineering and Environmental Health.
• Tom Couling, Zachry Construction Corporation:
• Manny Diaz, Lydecker Diaz: During his two-term tenure as mayor of the City of Miami, Diaz was nationally recognized for his programs supporting urban design, sustainability, and green development.
• Scott Kirkpatrick, Coast Builders Coalition: Kirkpatrick, president of Louisiana’s Coast Builders Coalition, is an attorney for government relations matters and has served as natural resources, transportation and environment policy advisor to former Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco.
• Paula Loomis, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: In her role as sustainability program manager, Loomis provides sustainability policy, technical assistance, and training for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers engineering and construction worldwide.
• Marie Martinko, Society of the Plastics Industry: As director for Industry Affairs - Environment & Health, Martinko leads the development and implementation of environmental, product regulatory, and occupational safety regulatory and technical programs.
• Brooke Weizmann, American Chemistry Council: Weizmann serves as director of Sustainability/
Odebrecht’s multifaceted view of sustainability as a synergy of economic development, social development, environmental balance, political participation, and cultural diversity will play a part in the judges’ decision, as will real-world applicability of the entries. The winning students have the potential opportunity to develop and implement their innovative ideas with Odebrecht.
“Our all-star panel of judges is comprised of today’s best minds, with the real-world experience to evaluate tomorrow’s solutions to our sustainability problems,” said Gilberto Neves, president and CEO of Odebrecht USA. ”The judges have pioneered the way in their own industries, and they'll now give emerging innovators an opportunity to carry the torch for the next generation.”
The award is open to any undergraduate or group of students enrolled at a U.S.-accredited university, with at least one student pursuing a degree in engineering, architecture, building and construction management, or chemistry. Entries may be submitted through May 31, 2012, at http://www.odebrechtaward.com. Meanwhile, participants are encouraged to engage on Facebook and Twitter.
Prizes* will be awarded as follows:
$20,000 to the student (s), $10,000 to the advising professor and $10,000 to their university
$7,000 to the student (s), $4,000 to the advising professor and $4,000 to their university
$5,000 to the student (s), $2,500 to the advising professor and $2,500 to their university
Additionally, participants of all shortlisted entries will be invited to participate in the process to become an Odebrecht Young Partner or a Braskem Associate. These are trainee and internship programs where young talents will experience firsthand what it is like to work for a global leader in the fields of engineering and construction and chemicals and petrochemicals.
About the Odebrecht Organization
Founded in 1944, Odebrecht is a Brazilian multinational that operates in the engineering and construction, petrochemical, energy, bioenergy, oil and gas, real estate, and environmental engineering sectors. Present in 20 countries, it has more than 120,000 employees and $32.3 billion in revenues in 2010.
Founded over six decades ago, Odebrecht has grown to be a global leader in engineering and construction services, laying the groundwork for positive, sustainable change on five continents. Today, the Odebrecht Organization is a worldwide leader in providing engineering & construction, petrochemical and bio-energy services. As part of the Odebrecht Organization, Odebrecht USA opened its Coral Gables, Florida, office in 1990, and since then it has successfully delivered projects throughout the United States. Odebrecht has a particular emphasis on public-sector infrastructure projects of vital importance.
Braskem is the largest manufacturer of thermoplastic resins in the Americas. With 31 industrial plants in Brazil and the United States, the company produces more than 33 billion pounds of thermoplastic resins and other petrochemical products annually. Headquartered in Philadelphia, Braskem America, a wholly owned subsidiary of Braskem S.A., has three production facilities located in Texas, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, as well as its Technology and Innovation Center in Pittsburgh.
*All cash prizes currently listed before taxation in accordance with state and federal law.