News By Tag
* Best Charter school
* Summer Camp
* School for special needs children
* Cerebral Palsy
* More Tags...
News By Location
Open enrollment for Summer Enrichment Programs at UCP of Central Florida
Camps for children with and without disabilities now open for enrollment
Studies show that children of all abilities can experience a learning set-back thanks to a lack of routine during summer months, often referred to as the ‘summer slide’; however, children with special needs are at a greater risk of losing academic skills, along with social and behavioral gains during the summer time frame. UCP’s Summer Enrichment programs are intended to aid in the consistency of development to preserve educational and therapeutic momentum without interruption during the summer months.
"Our teachers and therapists work to maintain education and therapy goals while introducing new life skills. This priority, especially necessary for our children with special needs, is balanced with traditional summer camp fun and activities,”
UCP is a not-for-profit charter school and therapy center, for children with and without disabilities, with six convenient locations in Central Florida: Downtown Orlando, East Orange, Kissimmee, Lake Mary, Pine Hills and West Orange. Camp options include:
• UCP Summer Connections, for children (ages 2 – fourth grade) with and without disabilities, embodies summer camp fun with unique outside activities, cooking projects and gooey experiments reinforcing traditional academics including science, math, problem solving and literacy skills. Programs for children age 2-5 are offered at all six UCP locations; first through fourth grade programs are available at UCP’s East Orange/Bailes Campus.
• Summer VPK, for children with and without disabilities, focuses on academic readiness skills in preparation for kindergarten through an engaging and enjoyable setting. Free for eligible students at all six locations.
• UCP Summer Enrichment, for children with disabilities in kindergarten – fifth grade, provides assistance with daily living skills and enhancement through traditional camp activities such as drama, music, arts and crafts, computers, sports and more. Offered exclusively at UCP’s Downtown Orlando/Holloway Campus.
• Shakespeare With Heart, for children sixth – 12th grade, is a fully-inclusive drama program for students with and without disabilities led by professional Shakespearean directors. This session is held at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater and culminates with a live Shakespearean show.
Physical, Speech and Occupational Therapy is available during the camp day or on an outpatient basis at all six campuses. Medicaid, commercial insurance and private/prompt pay options are available.
Summer programs at UCP’s Orange and Osceola county locations will be held June 11 – August 10 and at UCP’s Lake Mary campus on June 4 – August 3. Shakespeare With Heart will be held July 9 – 20. All programs, excluding Shakespeare With Heart, run weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., with before/after-
About UCP of Central Florida: UCP of Central Florida, a tuition-free public charter school, is the experts for children with special needs and provides support, education and therapy services for children, with and without disabilities, ages birth through 21. Services are offered at six locations throughout Central Florida: downtown Orlando, East Orlando near UCF, Kissimmee, Lake Mary, Pine Hills and Winter Garden. More than 2,400 children and their families received services provided by UCP last year. For more information about programs and services, visit www.ucpcfl.org/