News By Tag
* Bev Sanford
* Science Museum
* Winston-Salem attractions
* More Tags...
News By Place
SciWorks Board of Directors Announces Retirement of Dr. Bev Sanford
Dr. Beverly Sanford has been at the helm of the science museum for 16 years and will retire in the summer of 2012.
“SciWorks is an engaging environment for both students with school groups and families looking for recreational and educational experiences,”
Under Sanford’s leadership, SciWorks (http://www.sciworks.org):
• Served more than 1 million students, teachers and families
• Was named one of the top 25 science museums for children in the country by Parents Magazine
• Was awarded a Museum for America grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services
• Spearheaded two capital campaigns that added the 3,000 square foot FoodWorks, added the 1,000 square foot Science Lab to display natural history collections and renovated five exhibit galleries
• Oversaw the development of the Outdoor Science Park, which is in its final stages of completion
Prior to her position at SciWorks, Sanford was Vice President of Programs and Education at Discovery Place in Charlotte, N.C. She has received an Honor Award from the N.C. Alliance for Athletics, Health, Physical Educaton, Recreation and Dance, a Professional Service Award from the North Carolina Museum Council and a Peer Service Award from the American Association of Museums. She was active on the boards of state, regional and national museum associations.
“Dr. Sanford has successfully lead SciWorks through many years of expansion and advancements in science, as well as during some of the most challenging economic times in recent history. She has been able to accomplish all that she has done with no debt, while maintaining a balanced budget for our organization,”
The SciWorks Board of Directors has retained the executive search firm Baker and Associates, LLC, for the nationwide search process to find Dr. Sanford’s replacement. The board hopes to have the process concluded and a replacement in place by July 1, 2012.
SciWorks is a 501(c)3 corporation that promotes literacy, lifelong learning and an appreciation of the sciences through innovative educational and recreational experiences. Located just off University Parkway at 400 W. Hanes Mill Road in Winston-Salem, SciWorks is open Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit http://www.sciworks.org.
# # #
LMW Media Relations & Marketing, Inc., is a Winston-Salem, N.C., public relations and marketing firm.
Page Updated Last on: Mar 02, 2012