News By Tag
* Chronic Illness
* Art Therapy
* Child Life
* More Tags...
News By Location
ArtWorks Celebrates 10 Years of Children Expressing Themselves Through the Arts
New York, NY: On March 11th ArtWorks, The Naomi Cohain Foundation, will present its 10th Annual Express Yourself-New York event at the Helen and Martin Kimmel Center University Life at New York University.
By: Katherine Kelly, Administrative Coordinator
Participants spend months preparing for the Express Yourself event which provides them with a much needed creative outlet and gives them something to look forward to and work towards, taking the focus away from the pain and sorrow of the illness. At Express Yourself-NY 2012, 142 artists and performers, ages 1-25, from 13 participating New York Healthcare Agencies will display their creative masterpieces.
This year’s artwork includes 122 amazing paintings, drawings, and sculptures. The show will also highlight over 20 performances featuring singing, dancing, readings, and instrumental compositions. In addition to artwork and performances by our inspiring participants, Express Yourself-NY 2012 will also include art activities and refreshments for all attendees as well as gift bags and certificates of participation for all children and young adults who participate in the event.
Participating agencies in Express Yourself-NY 2012 include:
• Bellevue Hospital Center
• Blythedale Children’s Hospital
• Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center
• The Brooklyn Hospital Center
• The Children's Hospital at Montefiore
• Elizabeth Seton Pediatric Center
• The Stephen D. Hassenfeld Children's Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
• Incarnation Children's Center
• Initiative for Women with Disabilities:
• Komansky Center for Children’s Health at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
• Maimonides Infants and Children's Hospital of Brooklyn
• The Mount Sinai Kravis Children's Hospital
• New Alternatives for Children
• NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
• NYU Langone Medical Center
• Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York
To learn more about ArtWorks, please call 201-608-0146 or visit http://www.artworksfoundation.org.
ABOUT ARTWORKS, THE NAOMI COHAIN FOUNDATION:
Founded in 2002, ArtWorks provides children and young adults suffering from chronic and life-threatening illnesses, and their siblings, access to creative and performing arts programs that encourage the use of the creative process as a vehicle for healing, communication, self-expression and personal development. ArtWorks seeks to empower, validate, and honor these children by offering them the hands-on experience and materials with which to create, as well as the opportunity to publicly share their artistic accomplishments.
# # #
ArtWorks provides children and young adults suffering from chronic and life-threatening illnesses, and their siblings, access to creative and performing arts programs.