News By Tag
* More Industries...
News By Place
New Area Harbor Safety Committee Elects Officers, Approves Charter
Committee seeks to increase community involvement in navigational safety issues
By: Harbor Safety Committee
The committee’s initial meeting follows weeks of effort by a scoping committee that conducted several meetings to develop a charter for ratification today by representatives of the new LSHSC. The new safety committee is built on a solid foundation of community support and participation.
Thomas P. Marian with Buffalo Marine Services Inc. was elected chairman and presided over the meeting. Captain John G. Peterlin of the Port of Galveston was elected vice chair while Tava Foret, vice president with ACTion Group companies, was elected executive secretary. James Prazak of Tricon Energy, John Salvesen of Odfjell USA and Niels Aalund of the West Gulf Maritime Association also were elected members of the executive committee.
The group voted to create four subcommittees and appointed initial subcommittee members: The Navigation Operations Subcommittee – Captain Christos Sotirelis with Gal-Tex Pilots; Dredging Marine Construction Subcommittee - Mark Coyle and Captain Marcus Woodring of the Port of Houston; Maritime Education and Outreach - Tammy Lobaugh; and the Waterways Optimization Subcommittee - Jim Andrews of G&H Towing.
Industry segments and their representatives in the Lone Star Harbor Safety Committee include:
1. Barge/Tow Boat Operators - Todd Behlke
3. Brazos Pilot’s Association – Captain John Gunning
4. Bulk Liquid Storage - Adib Nasir
5. Chemical Tank Vessel Owner/ Operators - John Salvesen
6. Chemical Terminals - James Prazak
7. Commercial Fishing Vessels - Vacant
8. Container Ships - Thomas Sulkowski
9. Galveston – Texas City Pilot’s Association – Captain Christos Sotirelis
10. Harbor Tug Company - James Andrews
11. Houston Pilot’s Association – Captain Robert Thompson
12. Line Handlers - John Taylor
13. Marine Exchange – William Diehl
14. Marine Salvage/Dredging Operators - Mark Coyle
15. Maritime Education Representative - Tammy Lobaugh
16. Maritime Trade Organization - Niels Aalund
17. Non-Liquid/Dry Cargo Vessel Operators - Ricky Raven
18. Non-Liquid Terminal Operators - Vacant
19. Passenger Vessels - Vacant
20. Port Freeport - Al Durel
21. Port of Galveston - John Peterlin
22. Port of Houston Authority - Marcus Woodring
23. Port of Texas City - Jason Hayley
24. Recreational Boaters - Chuck Maricle
25. Refineries - Artie Myers
26. Shipping Agents - Robert Lain
27. Shipyard/Vessel Repair Facilities - Richard Bludworth
28. Stevedore/Labor - Christopher Gouger
29. Tank Vessel Owner/Operators - Anuj Chopra
Applications for vacant positions on the LSHSC are being accepted. In addition to completing an application, interested industry representative have to provide a one-page resume for consideration.
Other LSHSC members include the following primary government representatives:
The points of contact for information about the LSHSC are: Thomas P. Marian, (713) 923-5571; and Captain John G. Peterlin, (409) 766-6112.