Exercise Helps the Brain Stay Healthy Well Into Old Age
Recent studies prove that today's sedentary lifestyle isn't to blame for just thicker waistlines. Fitness equipment experts, Specialty Fitness, points out that mental agility requires regular exercise. Workout; it's anti-aging for the brain.
Feb. 16, 2012 - PRLog -- In addition to looking good, boosting the immune system, and warding off stress, it turns out that exercise also increases cognitive functioning. Several recent studies point out that exercise improves brain power no matter how old the person is. Specialty Fitness (SpecialtyFitness.com)
The Good Exercise Does for the Brain
At the University of Iowa, psychology professor Michelle Voss and her colleagues published a 2011 review on just how important exercise is for the brain. What Voss found included:
- Aerobic exercise helps the brain with coordinating different tasks, long-term planning, and concentration
- Weight lifting also improves concentration
- People in their 60s who exercise just six months increase gray and white brain matter in areas of the brain that normally diminish with age
- People older than 60 usually experience a shrinking brain in areas that control memory formation; people over 60 who exercise experience a growing brain in those same areas
- Men with a genetic predisposition to Alzheimer's, who are also couch potatoes, are four times more likely to develop the disease than men with a similar genetic predisposition who remain physically active
How Specialty Fitness Exercise Machines Help Customers' Brain Function
Understanding that both resistance training and cardio training is beneficial for the brain, Specialty Fitness provides customers with a number of weight training and cardio training fitness equipment that will help them keep both their bodies and their minds healthy.
The home gym workout equipment carried by Specialty Fitness includes exercise bikes, rowers, free weights, elliptical machines, treadmills, and more. However, Specialty Fitness offers more than just home gym equipment. Specialty Fitness also has a number of commercial-grade machines that are perfect for corporate workout rooms, hotels, hospitals, physical therapists, and other businesses in search of commercial gym equipment. Besides the home gym equipment, Specialty Fitness offers its commercial customers flexibility machines, stair climbing machines, and the increasingly popular spin bikes.
Specialty Fitness, which serves the greater Los Angeles area, provides new and used gym equipment for sale and for rent, along with fitness equipment repairs. The company has two show rooms, one in Thousand Oaks and one in Northridge, where potential customers can browse through available fitness equipment.
For more information about Specialty Fitness, their exercise machines, weights, and other workout equipment, visit SpecialtyFitness.com.
# # #
Specialty Fitness has the largest top quality fitness equipment showrooms in Southern California. Clubs, professionals and health enthusiasts alike benefit from their knowledge and assistance in home gym equipment and commercial exercise machines. If you need it for strength training, physical therapy, weight loss or body toning, you will find it at the best prices on www.SpecialtyFitness.com.