News By Tag
* Peter Sommer Travels
* Peter Sommer
* Archaeological Tour
* More Tags...
News By Location
New Cultural Adventures in the Ancient Mediterranean with Peter Sommer Travels
- Peter Sommer Travels launches 2012 brochure with four new tours in Turkey, Greece and Sicily
Led by expert guides including archaeologists, historians and travel writers, and even the owner Peter Sommer himself, the tours (by traditional wooden boat or on foot) explore the great wonders of past civilisations while enjoying the food, culture and history of each region.
New tours offered by Peter Sommer Travels in 2012 include:
• Cruising to the Cyclades (19 May-2 June) – a quintessential Greek island experience, sailing clear blue waters on a traditional gulet to more than a dozen Aegean islands in the Dodecanese and Cyclades archipelagos. Led by archaeologist Heinrich Hall, the itinerary includes glorious Santorini, laid-back Kos and mountainous Naxos. The 15-day tour costs from £3,675 pp (two sharing) including transfers, 14 nights’ full-board on the gulet, all entrance fees and expert guiding. Flights extra.
• Exploring Cappadocia (3-8 September) – an adventure among the remarkable geological formations and ancient cave dwellings of Cappadocia, hosted by historian Dr Michael Metcalfe and featuring an early morning balloon flight over Turkey’s most celebrated landscape. The six-day tour costs from £1,375 pp (two sharing) including transfers, five nights’ B&B (boutique hotel), most meals, all entrance fees and expert guiding. Flights extra.
• A Carian Odyssey (8-22 September) – a gulet cruise along the magnificent Carian coastline of Turkey led by archaeologist Heinrich Hall, visiting spectacular sites such as the marbled harbour city of Knidos and the cliff-face tombs of Kaunos, with time to enjoy quiet coves, scenic walks and fine food. The 15-day tour costs from £3,425 pp (two sharing) including 14 nights’ full-board on the gulet, all entrance fees and expert guiding. Flights extra.
• A Gastronomic Tour of Eastern Sicily (6-13 October) – a culinary tour taking in highlights of Sicily’s varied cuisine and historical sites. Led by Marcello Baglioni and Dr. Michael Metcalfe, there’s a cooking class, a boat trip, a walk on Mt. Etna with a volcanologist and numerous tastings. The eight-day tour costs from £2,495 pp (two sharing) including seven nights’ B&B, nine meals, all entrance fees and expert guiding. Flights extra.
The four new itineraries are among 14 different tours and gulet cruises offered in Turkey, Greece and Italy, catering for small groups of no more than 18 people. Showcased in the new 2012 brochure, they include nine itineraries aboard traditional wooden gulets, which have been refurbished to excellent standards, with spacious ensuite cabins. Private charter of the gulets – which sleep between two and 24 guests – is also possible, whether this is replicating existing itineraries or creating tailor-made trips.
Among popular itineraries returning in 2012 is Peter Sommer Travels’ signature tour In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great: the Conquest of Asia Minor, a 20-day journey through Turkey, taking in the history and architecture of the cities on Alexander the Great’s epic route. A complementary 20-day tour, In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great: from Boy to King, explores the ruler’s early life in Greece through the ancient sites of Macedonia.
Comments Peter Sommer, Founder of Peter Sommer Travels: “We’re excited to be offering new itineraries (both gulet and land-based) in all three of our destinations:
For a copy of the new 2012 brochure, please contact Peter Sommer Travels on 01600 888 220 (http://www.petersommer.com)
ENDS – 10 February 2012
Note to Editors: A fact sheet is attached, detailing a further 10 gulet or land-based specialist tours and highlighting the expert guides who lead the trips.
For press enquiries or photography:
# # #
Travel PR is one of the leading travel PR agencies in the UK with over 30 clients covering trade associations, hotels, tour operators and tourist boards.