News By Tag
News By Place
Nurseries invited to sing with The Wiggles as part of NDNA health campaign
Nursery children around the UK are invited to sing with The Wiggles as part of the National Day Nurseries Association (NDNA) annual ‘healthy body, happy me’ campaign, which will run from Monday 12 to Sunday 18 March
Now in its fifth year, ‘healthy body, happy me’ aims to support nurseries in giving children positive experiences of a healthy lifestyle and features a series of themed days around which nurseries can host events. This year, the highlight of the week is Getting Strong Friday which encourages nursery children all over the UK to sing and dance along with The Wiggles on a special ‘Getting Strong’ song at 11am on Friday 16 March. Nurseries can sign up to take part and watch the video at www.ndna.org.uk/
All NDNA members will receive a pack in early February to help them plan a successful week. This includes a poster so that nurseries can promote their days to parents, and balloons for a display. Individual factsheets on each day are also available to download from the NDNA website for members, along with resources including a certificate for children, a special campaign logo and a press release which can be adapted to promote activities to the media. The themed days in 2012 are as follows:
• Move it Monday. With the Olympic and Paralympic Games taking place in London this year, Move it Monday is about getting active in the nursery with a mini-Olympics or relay race
• Moos-day Tuesday. Today is about exploring the benefits of healthy, nutritious food and learning where it comes from
• Wellbeing Wednesday. Today is about supporting healthy minds, for example through stretches, breathing exercises or yoga
• Tumbling Thursday. An opportunity for nurseries to demonstrate how children can enjoy safe fun with ‘risky’ activities, such as building a den or cooking by a campfire
• Getting Strong Friday. A chance to put on your dancing shoes and join in with The Wiggles’ ‘Getting Strong’ sing-a-long
• Weekend fun. The week rounds off with fun for all the family, such as through a picnic or event at the nursery.
Claire Schofield, NDNA’s Director of Membership, Policy and Communications, said: “Once again, there are some exciting days for nurseries to host themed activities around. Thousands of children are already signed up to sing and dance along to The Wiggles as part of Getting Strong Friday and we hope that many more will follow.
“’Healthy body, happy me’ is not only about giving nurseries new ideas to support healthy lifestyles for children, but also about helping them to showcase the positive work that they do in this vital area.
“We are urging nurseries to invite along their local politicians, prospective parents and representatives from their local authority so they can directly experience how nurseries support children and families.
“New for this year is our special NDNA campaigns Facebook page where nurseries can share their ideas and upload their photos to further celebrate their ‘healthy body, happy me’ week – we look forward to seeing all the wonderful activities taking place.”
Notes to editors:
• NDNA’s healthy body, happy me campaign 2012 is supported by Hope Education, Citation plc, Cool Milk, Yoga4 Nurseries, The Wiggles and Teach Nursery
• The campaign Facebook page can be found at www.facebook.com/
• National Day Nurseries Association (NDNA) is a national charity representing children’s day nurseries across the UK, giving them information, training and support, so they can provide the best possible care to young children. NDNA is the voice of the sector, an integral part of the lives of nearly one million children and their families
• For more information, or to arrange an interview, please contact Lindsay Garfitt, Senior PR and Policy Officer, on 01484 40 70 66 or Lindsay.Garfitt@
# # #
National Day Nurseries Association is a national charity representing children’s nurseries across the UK, giving them information, training and support, so they can provide the best possible care to young children.