News By Tag
News By Place
Most UK Data Centres Will Fail to Cut Energy Consumption in 2012 Warns Survey
Over three-quarters (76%) of UK data centres will fail to cut energy consumption in 2012 according to a new survey by the Data Centre World Conference 2012.
The research into future energy usage trends by UK data centre operators found that:
• The vast majority (76%) of the UK’s data centres expect their energy consumption to increase, or remain the same in 2012.
• Of these, over a fifth (21%) predict that their energy consumption will increase by 25% or more during this year.
• Almost a third (31%) are unaware of the Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) rate of their data centre facilities
• Over 46% have either not achieved PUE targets, or don’t have a target PUE level in place
Just over half (51%) of respondents admitted to either not knowing their PUE, or having a below-average PUE rating (above 2.0*). Unsurprisingly, the majority (61%) of those surveyed admitted they had yet to achieve either their target PUE level, or even a satisfactory PUE level.
John Hatcher, Data Centre World host said: “Although the UK has some of the most advanced data centres in the world, the survey shows there is still a great deal of work that needs to be done. If we’re to see a credible reduction in data centre carbon footprint in our lifetime, the industry needs to embrace innovative green technologies available to cool and power facilities across the UK.”
About Data Centre World 2012
Data Centre World is the UK’s largest dedicated data centre event, now in its fifth year. This free to attend conference helps data centre managers and professionals plan, implement and manage their existing and future data centre requirements. For more information and to register your attendance, visit www.datacentreworld.com
To find out more about the latest trends Data Centre World 2012 will take place on the 29th February – 1st March at the Olympia in London. To register or for additional information please visit: http://www.datacentreworld.com
For the latest news updates, follow us on Twitter at @DataCentreWorld and via #dcwexpo.
+44 (0) 1252 717 040
* Gartner, 2010, Going Beyond IT