News By Tag
News By Location
History of bed sheets along with interesting facts
The bed sheets have been in usage since the Vedic period for covering as well as beautification. Get aware of the interesting history of bed sheets.
History of bed sheets:
Let's cast a glance on the interesting history of bed sheets in India-
* Bed sheets have been described in ancient Indian texts with various Sanskrit terms like Aastarana, Acchadana, Aachchhaadaka, Pracchada, Avastarana, Shayyacchadana, Nicola etc.
* As per Ayurveda, the bed sheets and mattresses should be made of cotton. One should not use the bed sheets used by others unless properly washed and dried.
* According to Ramayana, when Lakshmana goes to palace-chamber of Sugreeva, he sees numerous golden and silver beds and divans covered with valuable bed sheets. Further, when Hanuman enters the Ravan's sleeping chamber in search of Sita, he sees Ravan and his wives sleeping on gem and stone studded couches and beds covered with beautiful bed sheets.
* As per great epic Mahabharata, when after war Ashvatthama enters the tent of Drupada's son to take the revenge of his father's murder, he sees him laying on a bed covered with silk bed sheets.
* Vatsyayana has mentioned in Kamasutra several types of beds as well as bed sheets for creating perfect place for making love.
* According to Vaastu Shastra, the bedroom of couple facing conflicts should be in Southwest direction and their bed sheets should be of red color. They should avoid using bed sheets in colors governed by Saturn and Ketu planets.
* Bed sheets have been also mentioned in various Puranas and ancient scriptures.
* As per Kautilya's Arthashastra (300 BC), the Superintendent of yarn should endeavor to increase the production of bed sheets (Vastrastarana)
* n popular Buddhist scripture Vinaya Piṭaka, bed sheets find mention with term “Uttaratthara”
* Buddhist statues (3rd century) of Nagarjunakonda valley also depict people using bed sheets along with cushions and pillows.
* Niccolao Manucci, Italian writer and traveler, who came in 1659 in Mughal court and joined the service of Dara Shikoh, has mentioned the use of soft cotton bed sheets.
Difference between bed sheets and bed covers:
Bed sheets are laid directly on mattress for covering, over which one lies. Aside from this, bed sheets also come in form of top sheets, which are laid above the bottom sheet, and one can sleep under them. On the other hand, bed covers, coverlets or bed spreads are spread over the bed sheets, be it bottom sheets or top sheets. These are used for the protection of bed sheets as well as beautification of bed at the same time.
for more information visit :- http://www.craffts.com/