News By Tag
News By Location
United Auctions Hooks New Outdoor Store for Stirling Agricultural Centre
United Auctions have landed a new outdoor store at the Stirling Agricultural Centre, catering for the hunting, shooting, fishing clientele. Angling Active have relocated to allow for significant expansion, tripling the size of their premises.
Angling Active, one of the leading fishing tackle shops in Scotland, has relocated to UA’s headquarters from Stirling’s Colquhoun Street to allow for significant expansion of its product line, including country lifestyle clothing and footwear.
Run by father and son Martin and Chris Grantham, the company, which attracts customers across Scotland, has tripled in size by leasing more than 6600 sq ft at the Agricultural Centre.
Stirling Council’s Provost Fergus Wood declared the new premises open for business on Saturday 3 December 2011.
All six members of staff have transferred with the business and a recruitment drive is planned for the new season.
Formerly known as Angling Centre Stirling, the business recently changed its name to Angling Active, in line with its thriving online superstore, which supplies more than 8000 specially selected items for fishing enthusiasts and professionals.
Located in the unit nearest the river, the new store provides ample space to display the company’s expanding line of angling tackle, reels, bait and clothing; with more than 600 rods stored vertically allowing for better storage, presentation and handling.
And the larger floor space displays a wide range of country lifestyle clothing and footwear that will appeal to the hunting, shooting, fishing clientele that visit the Agricultural Centre.
Chris Grantham, a licensed casting instructor, will also be making good use of the nearby river, allowing customers to ‘try before they buy’ and teaching casting technique – without hooks. The store is ideally located as it sits on the junction of the Rivers Forth and Teith, enabling customers to practise casting to both the left and right.
Neil McLean, Group Joint MD of UA who are landlords of the Centre, said: “It was always part of the vision to have an outdoor retailer specialising in hunting, shooting, fishing at the Centre and we’re delighted to welcome this award-winning business.”
Martin Grantham of Angling Active, who is also a qualified level 2 coach, said: “The store offers us a unique location in a high profile building. The combination of increased space to view stock and, more importantly, proximity to the river and the major road network carrying traffic on route to the foremost fishing locations is absolutely ideal.
“We’ve built solid growth over 12 years and, in a flat market, we’re still showing upward trends. We see the potential and we’re going for it.”
He added: “We remain committed to youth development and our long term goal is to continue developing casting tuition for young people to help secure the long-term future of the industry.”
Earlier this year, UA attracted Carrs Billington Agriculture, a blue chip agri merchandiser and CKD Galbraith who have opened a national farm sales office at the Centre.
NOTES TO EDITOR
• Image available.
• Martin Grantham shared the Provost Award for Outstanding Contribution to Business and Community with United Auctions in 2010
• Martin is chair of the committee managing the Scottish International Youth Fly Fishing Team and sits on the Board of the Scottish Anglers National Association – the governing body of game angling in Scotland.
United Auctions - www.uagroup.co.uk
• United Auctions (UA) are Scotland’s leading livestock auctioneers and procurement specialists. We operate a network of different auction markets across Scotland, including Stirling, Huntly, Lairg, Dalmally, Tiree, Islay, South Uist and an area office and lairage facility at Oban
• The company conducts auctions of both commercial and pedigree sheep and cattle, and provides farm-to-farm and farm-to-abattoir procurement services
• Group turnover is in excess of £100 million and in 2008 we celebrated our 150th year in operation