How to Spend Less on Gas and More on Holiday Gift-Giving
The holidays tend to be a time of spending not saving, but there are ways to save money at the gas pump this season.
Firestone Complete Auto Care offers the following tips to help you save money at the gas pump so you can focus on the season of giving.
• At least once a month, make sure your tires are properly inflated according to the vehicle’s specifications. Over-inflating tires by even a pound or two might improve fuel mileage in the short run, but it causes tires to wear prematurely. The money you save in fuel is less than what you would pay to replace the tires.
• Buy the right octane. Look in your vehicle’s owner’s manual for the correct octane level for your car’s engine. Odds are that it will be regular unleaded. Your vehicle should run just fine on regular if that’s what the manual recommends, and it costs less.
• An annual full-vehicle inspection, including the air conditioning system, may help you avoid costly repairs.
• Vehicles use less fuel the more slowly they travel. Try dropping your highway speed by 10 mph to see big savings at the pump.
• Extra weight in your vehicle makes it work harder, hence less fuel mileage. If you have a trunk full of junk, empty it out for better fuel economy and to save money.
• Nothing can put a damper on running holiday errands more than unpredictable gas prices. That’s why Firestone Complete Auto Care created Gasonomics, an online resource to help you save money at the pump! Go to www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/
The holiday season can be hectic – and the car might be the last thing on drivers’ minds while running around. However, just by taking a few small steps, drivers can save money on their vehicles – meaning more money can be spent celebrating the holidays!