News By Tag
* Private Equity
* Limited Partner
* General Partner
* PE Investing
* Sheila Bair
* More Tags...
News By Place
Firms Funding Private Equity Deals at Golden Networking's Private Equity Happy Hour in NYC
Private Equity Happy Hour, October 18, Will Bring Together a Who’s Who of the Alternative Investments World, for an Evening of Networking and Cocktails in New York City
Private equity funds are expected to play an increasing role in investments flows into Africa in the next 12 months as they seek new growth opportunities outside the depressed markets of developed countries, according to Standard Bank's Brian Marshall, Director: Diversified Lending and Leverage. Marshall says an increasing number of private equity firms are raising capital to invest in sub-Saharan Africa investment strategies and scouting for deal opportunities.
Although funds available to invest in Africa are still relatively small when compared to global funds and other emerging markets, an increase will be good for Africa as it will provide local firms with much needed capital. According to EMPEA, an industry body, funds raised for sub-Saharan Private Equity strategies totaled US$1,499 million in 2010 up 55% from the US$964m raised in 2009. The EMPEA study shows that Emerging Markets and sub-Saharan Africa in particular, are claiming an increasing share of private equity funding raised globally.
Marshall cites global private equity firm Carlyle's announcement earlier this year of the launch of its sub Saharan Africa Fund and the recent acquisition by CVC of a controlling stake in Virgin Active as an indication of the interest by large international private equity funds in the region.
Carlyle, which has about $17-billion worth of assets under its management in emerging markets, more than $106bln globally, and who is actively looking for assets in Africa, said the sub Saharan Fund will be managed from Johannesburg and Lagos. The group has established a team to conduct buyout and growth capital investments in Sub-Saharan Africa. Furthermore Helios Investment Partners, a leading Pan African fund, recently announced the closing of their 2nd successful fund which raised a total of US$ 900 million in commitments from investors.
Private Equity Happy Hour New York City is produced by Golden Networking (http://www.goldennetworking.net), the premier networking community for business executives, entrepreneurs and investors. Upcoming Golden Networking's Forums and Business Receptions include:
• Private Equity Happy Hour New York (http://pehappyhour.com), October 19, New York
• High-Frequency Trading Happy Hour Hong Kong (http://hfthappyhourhongkong.eventbrite.com), October 27, Hong Kong
• High-Frequency Trading Happy Hour Singapore (http://hfthappyhoursingapore.eventbrite.com)
• High-Frequency Trading Happy Hour London (http://hfthappyhourlondon.eventbrite.com)
• Hedge Funds Happy Hour New York (http://www.hfhappyhour.com)
• High-Frequency Trading Happy Hour New York (http://www.hfthappyhour.com)
• The Speed Traders Workshop 2011 Singapore, "The Present and Future of High-Frequency Trading" (http://thespeedtradersworkshopsingapore.eventbrite.com)
• High-Frequency Trading Leaders Forum 2011 Singapore, "How Speed Traders Leverage Cutting-Edge Strategies in the Post-Flash Crash World" (http://hftleadersforumsingapore.eventbrite.com)
• The Speed Traders Workshop 2011 Hong Kong, "The Present and Future of High-Frequency Trading" (http://thespeedtradersworkshophk.eventbrite.com)
• High-Frequency Trading Leaders Forum 2011 Hong Kong , "How Speed Traders Leverage Cutting-Edge Strategies in the Post-Flash Crash World" (http://hftleadersforumhongkong.eventbrite.com)
• The Speed Traders Workshop 2011 Sao Paulo, "The Present and Future of High-Frequency Trading" (http://thespeedtradersworkshopsaopaulo.eventbrite.com)
• High-Frequency Trading Leaders Forum 2011 Sao Paulo, "How Speed Traders Leverage Cutting-Edge Strategies in the Post-Flash Crash World" (http://hftleadersforumsaopaulo.eventbrite.com)
Golden Networking has been frequently featured in the press, including recent articles in The Wall Street Journal, "Happy Hour for High-Frequency Trading", The New York Times, "Golden Networking Helps Job Seekers Make Overseas Connections"