News By Tag
News By Place
Latest snow news from the Austrian Tirol
The countdown is on. With up to 80cm of fresh snow falling on the Pitztal Glacier over the weekend, it is a welcome start to the winter season. Read on to find out which ski areas are already open and the top news for 2011-12 in the Austrian Tirol.
• Stubai glacier: 50 cm of fresh snow. Overall snow height up to 80 cm. 25km of slopes open (9lifts, 9 slopes)
• Hintertux glacier: 60cm of fresh snow. Overall snow height up to 105cm. 35km of slopes open (10 lifts)
• Pitztal glacier: 80cm of fresh snow – Overall snow height up to 139cm. 3.5 km of slopes open (4 lifts)
The following resorts are due to open soon and have been blessed with good snowfall at the weekend:
- Sölden. With 50 cm of fresh snow falling over the weekend, Sölden will open in traditional form with the FIS Ski Worldcup opening from 22nd-23rd October 2011. www.soelden.com
- True to form, Ischgl will open on Saturday 26th November with its legendary opening season concert, performed by Roxette. www.ischgl.com
WHAT’S NEW for 2011-12
2011-12 promises to be action packed and adrenaline fuelled. Innsbruck is gearing up to host its third Winter Olympics with the first ever Youth Winter Olympic Games in 2012, Mayrhofen is set to host top comedy event the Altitude Festival, Kempinski has opened its first hotel near Kitzbühel, whilst over in St Anton the MOOSER is topping the list as the place to stay this season.
Innsbruck to host its third Olympics in 2012
The first ever Winter Youth Olympic Games will take place from 13th – 22nd January 2012 in Innsbruck and Seefeld. Innsbruck will become the first city worldwide to host the Olympic Games for a third time, following the 1964 and 1976 games. The goal for the Youth Olympics is to introduce young athletes to the Olympic spirit, to provide them with a public arena to showcase their talents. Over 1000 athletes, from over 70 nations, aged between 14 and 18 will compete across a range of disciplines from biathlon to bobsleigh to downhill skiing and ice hockey. The construction of the Olympic Village is almost complete and many of the Olympic venues used in 1964 and 1976 have been renovated and upgraded. For more information www.innsbruck2012.com, For media accreditation click here.
Mayrhofen to host top comedy event the Altitude Festival 2012
The Altitude Comedy Festival is coming to Mayrhofen from 26th – 31st March 2012 and bringing with it some of the top names in comedy such as Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle and Al Murray. Previously an annual fix in Meribel it moved last year to Mayrhofen as part of the Snowbombing festival. This year it will stand alone and where better to stage this perfect mix of skiing, comedy and music than in one of Tirol’s leading resorts, Mayrhofen. The event is sold as an accommodation and entertainment package, with the event wristband included in the price of your accommodation. Mayrhofen is home to budget-friendly pensions and 4* luxury hotels so there is a package to suit all. Opt between coach travel from £128 per person or flights direct to Innsbruck with easyJet.com from £59 one way.
For more information visit www.altitudefestival.com.
St Anton leads the way with two new hotel’s
St Anton needs little introduction as one of Europe‘s top resorts and this winter sees the opening of two new amazing hotels, theMOOSER and the M3. Opening on 2nd December 2011 is TheMOOSER (www.themooser.at)
Sample package prices, based on B&B, BA flights to Innsbruck, private transfers. Kaluma (01730 260263, www.kalumatravel.co.uk)
- TheMOOSER - prices start from £1540 per person per person per week.
- M3 - prices start from £1160 per person per week.
Swarowski Innsbruck sparkles brighter
The revamp of a store rarely creates a buzz quite like the newly designed and renovated Swarowski store, located just a few steps away from the Golden Roof in Innsbruck. Following an investment of 8.5 million euros, Swarowski Innsbruck opened in August 2011. It doesn’t just offer the opportunity for visitors to shop, it provides an insight into the fascination of crystal through creative design, art and exhibitions. Swarowski path of success began in 1895 when Daniel Swarowski moved to Wattens, just outside Innsbruck, with his newly-invented machine for cutting and polishing crystal jewellery stones. The company is still family-owned and the impressive Mirrored Wallin the entrance foyer exhibits some of the legendary pieces of history. For more information visit www.swarovski.com/
Das Kronthaler, Achensee
A new design and lifestyle spa hotel in the ski resort of Achenkirch will fully open this season. The 4* Das Kronthaler is positioned in an enviable ski in and ski out location, surrounded by the natural beauty of the Rofan mountains and close to the shores of Lake Achensee. The modern and contemporary design, combining wood and glass, blends effortlessly with its traditional Tirolean roots. Achenkirch is the perfect destination for a winter wonderland holiday, with skiing on over 27km of slopes and prepared winter paths for walking, hiking or snowshoeing. Sample Package: 5 nights on half board at the 4* Das Kronthaler starts from £899 per person. www.daskronthaler.com
Kempinski to open first hotel in Austria
New for 2011-12, Kempinski will open its first hotel in Austria, the Kempinski Hotel Das Tirol is located in Jochberg, near Kitzbühel. Visit www.kempinski.com/
Tour Operator News:
• Crystal has introduced four new resorts in Tirol: Axamer Lizum, Fieberbrunn, Westendorf, Kirchberg. For more information visit www.crystalski.com
• Inghams has introduced new chalets in St Anton and Mayrhofen, a new flagship property, the Chalet Hotel St Christoph and a new Chalet Hotel in Kühtai. For more information visit www.inghams.co.uk
• Catered chalet specialist Ski Total has added Sölden to its programme for 2011-1, the first time a UK tour operator has a catered Chalet Hotel there. For more information visit www.skitotal.com.
Tirol launch NEW offers website
For more information on the region www.visittirol.co.uk.
For further information and images please contact:
Becky Horton, Tirol Tourist Board UK PR
T: 020 8330 2143; 07766 738020 E: becky.horton@