News By Tag
News By Place
Sallas Auto Repair’s Ways to Prevent Drowsy Driving
How to stay alert behind the wheel in an allergy-induced drowsy season
“Driving drowsy is not only dangerous for the driver, but also for other passengers on the roads, too,” said Nick Sallas. “Drivers must do everything they can to stay alert so they arrive safely at their destination.”
Know Your Limits on Driving Drowsy
Driving drowsy has been known to impair judgment and slow reaction times. Drivers who are sleep-deprived may also drive on “auto pilot” and not pay close attention to where they are driving, nor any hazards on the road. The AAA website mentions that the majority drowsy driving accidents occur between 9pm and 6pm, although some experience extreme tiredness in the afternoon after lunch.
“Many Americans are sleep deprived; almost a quarter average less than six hours a sleep a night. Most people need a consistent eight hours a night. Young people actually need more sleep - an average of nine hours a night,” reports http://www.ouraaa.com.
Ideas to Stay Alert While Driving
For those frequently driving drowsy, Sallas Auto Repair recommends the following ideas for staying alert:
1. Carpool, or don’t travel alone on longer trips. Take turns driving.
2. Take a short nap before, or during, the car trip. Even a short 20-30 minute nap can recharge.
3. Make frequent stops. Stretch, grab caffeine, and find a way to gain alertness.
4. Bring a catchy playlist with sing-along songs.
5. Avoid the scenic route. If there’s a way to get to a destination with several signs and billboards, consider taking that route.
# # #
Sallas Auto Repair is located in Kansas City, MO and specializes in 52-point vehicle inspections with every oil change. For more information on the hazards of driving drowsy, or about auto repair in Kansas City, MO or Overland Park, KS visit http://www.sallasauto.com.