News By Tag
News By Place
History of Fort DuPont Told Through Photographs
Local authors team up on new book revealing Fort DuPont's history
Fort DuPont is named in honor of Rear Adm. Samuel Francis Du Pont and located on the Reeden Point tract, land initially granted to Henry Ward in 1675. Fort DuPont originated during the Civil War as a heavily armed earthwork fortification. In 1864, Sgt. Bishop Crumrine wrote, “these guns command the channel and could blow to atoms any vessel rash enough to attempt to pass.”
In the decades to follow, the battery at Delaware City was gradually modernized into a formidable military post that remained active through World War II. Declared surplus, the site reopened in 1948 as the Governor Bacon Health Center. By 1996, over 300 acres were reestablished as Fort DuPont State Park.
Highlights of Fort DuPont:
• The Battery at Delaware City: 1815-1892
• Endicott Era and the Great World War- 1893-1918
• Between the Wars: 1919-1938
• World War II: 1939-1945
• Adapt and Reuse: 1946-present
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, or through Arcadia Publishing at www.arcadiapublishing.com or
# # #
With more than 7,500 local history titles published to date, Arcadia Publishing is the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. Widely recognized sepia books feature hundreds of vintage historical images.