News By Tag
News By Place
Hare Chevrolet Shares 20 Ways to Save on Gas
We came up with 20 ways to save because we know your wallet is important too.
2) Replace your air filter - A dirty air filter can lose as much as 10% in fuel economy (make sure to check your cabin air filter changed too).
3) Purchase your gas on Wednesdays - Statistics show that prices usually change on Thursdays.
4) Use the correct octanes and purchase fuel in the morning or evenings when it’s cooler – Fuel expands as it heats up.
5) Make sure you tighten your gas cap – Improperly sealed gas caps allow 147 million gallons of fuel to vaporize every year. Loose gas caps may also cause check engine lights to come on.
6) Use a fuel credit card – Most gas companies will give a few cents a gallon if you use their credit card.
7) Have your fuel injectors serviced and cleaned for optimal performance – Clean injectors can increase fuel economy up to 12%.
8) Keep your tires properly inflated, balanced and in alignment – Under-inflated tires can rob fuel economy by as much as 25%.
9) Optimize your travel and consolidate trips – Combine multiple trips into one by creating a route for the shortest distances.
10) Reduce drag – Remove anything that many increase drag (luggage racks and sports racks).
11) Consider having nitrogen in your tires – It can increase your fuel economy by 10%.
12) Have your vehicle tuned up at regular intervals – Change the spark plugs and any cracked or brittle plug wires. Spark plugs that are in poor condition can reduce your gas mileage by 12%.
13) Replace dirty fuel filter – Dirty fuel filters reduce economy by almost 10%.
14) Avoid rush hour – Try to schedule your errands for times when there is less traffic.
15) Use your cruise control and obey the speed limits – As a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional 20 cents per gallon for gas.
16) Anticipate stop signs and lights – Plan ahead! The less you have to stop, the better your fuel economy. Try to catch the greens if you can!
17) Drive less – Obvious, but still makes sense and easy to forget! Walk or ride your bike. We could all use the exercise. Carpool. Combine errands. The less you drive, the less you’ll spend on gas.
18) Check the inspection date on the pump – Make sure you get all the fuel you are paying for.
19) Be wary of gas saving products – Most products cost you in the long run.
20) Use synthetic oil – You don’t have to change it as often, and it reduces engine friction, which increases the life expectancy and fuel economy.
# # #
Hare Chevrolet is located just minutes from Indianapolis. Buyers travel to Hare Chevrolet for the best selection, service and prices on new and used vehicles. We are a family run business that has dedicated our lives to serve our community.