News By Tag
News By Location
PIO CESARE – Piedmonte jewel of the fine wine world
Dan Murphy’s is proud to be the exclusive Australian retailer for PIO CESARE, renowned producer from the picturesque Northern Italian Piedmonte region. Piedmontese wines are world famous and PIO CESARE is one of the very best producers.
Originally a negociant style business, only sourcing their grapes from growers, PIO CESARE today owns more than 50 hectares of vineyards, on highly prized sites in the region’s mountain foothills (‘Piedmonte’
Pio Cesare Grignolino Del Monferrato Casalese 2009 RRP $29.99 Exclusive retailer, Dan Murphy’s
Delicious and slinky, these Grignolino grapes are sourced from vineyards on the hills near Rosignano Monferrato. Once vinified this wine has no oak contact; it is aged in stainless steel tanks. Dry and spicy, showing notes of white pepper, raspberry and rose petal; it is delicate and persistent and traditionally served slightly cool. 13% Alc./Vol.
Pio Cesare Barbera d'Alba 2008 RRP $29.99 Exclusive retailer, Dan Murphy’s
Barbera grapes sourced from PIO CESARE’s Barolo vineyards in Serraluga d’Alba, in Sinio, Diano d'Alba and Grinzane Cavour and long-term growers; the wine is matured for 18 months in French oak. Fresh, juicy and muscular, Barbera d’Alba has a complex structure, with spicy and ripe plum, blackberry and a hint of toasted tobacco. 13.5% Alc./Vol.
Pio Cesare Il Nebbio Langhe 2009 RRP $29.99 Exclusive retailer, Dan Murphy’s
Made from Nebbiolo grapes, (‘Il Nebbio’ from Nebbiolo), this is a fragrant, youthful expression, sourced from PIO CESARE’s vineyards in Serralunga, Treiso and Diano d'Alba. It undergoes short carbonic maceration, fermentation in stainless steel at low temperatures, limited skin contact and no oak use. Redcurrant, cherry, roses, roasted chestnut notes on the soft, round palate; it’s best served cool. 13.5% Alc./Vol.
Pio Cesare Barolo 2006 RRP $99.99 Exclusive retailer, Dan Murphy’s
Sourced from family-owned vineyards in Serralunga d'Alba, Grinzane Cavour, La Morra and Barolo –Novello and long-term growers; following vinification, this classic Barolo is aged in French oak for 3 years. The King of Piedmonte, this Barolo has excellent structure and harmony, mild tannins and balanced fruit. Notes of dried rose, tar, roasted chestnut, ripe cherry and dark chocolate are immediately approachable, but with a very long ageing potential. 14% Alc./Vol. (Tom Maresca, Decanter, 4 Stars; Bruce Sanderson, Wine Spectator, 91 Points; Antonio Galloni, Wine Advocate, ‘This is a magnificent, impeccable Barolo from Pio Cesare,’ 94 Points)
Pio Cesare Barbaresco 2006 RRP $99.99 Exclusive retailer, Dan Murphy’s
Sourced only from PIO CESARE vineyards (the famous ‘Il Bricco’ Estate and the great hill of San Stefanetto, in the village of Treiso), this is the elegant Queen of Piedmonte. Once vinified, 35% is aged in French barriques (one third new) for 30 months with the remaining 65% spending three years in French oak casks. A classic Barbaresco, it’s elegant with ripe and spicy fruit, great depth, finesse, opulence and complexity. Gorgeous and aromatic, with notes of dried rose, dark cherry, herb garden, cedar and savoury chocolate tannins; it has incredible aging potential. 13.5% Alc./Vol. (Antonio Galloni, Wine Advocate, 94 Points)
Led by Andrew Caillard MW (Fine Wine Principal), Michael Bynon (Business Manager Imported Wine) and Peter Nixon (Fine Wine Marketing Manager), Dan Murphy’s has worked tirelessly to build relationships with the world’s great producers, carefully expanding their exclusive imported range. There are two imperative criteria; the wines must be ‘top of genre’ (in terms of quality and regional and varietal typicity) and available at the best possible price. Dan Murphy’s is very proud to bring the finest and most famous producers of their region to Australia, offering excellent value for money; now including the outstanding PIO CESARE. http://www.danmurphys.com.au
Page Updated Last on: Sep 01, 2011