News By Tag
News By Place
Heavy Rains Cause Environmental Concerns across Chicago
The environmental and building consulting experts at EC2 provide Illinois residents with indoor air quality and environmental testing services.
Not only did Chicago witness flooding from blocked drains and the drainage system simply not able to keep up with the deluge, but many properties also experienced water damage from leaking roofs. Some areas also experienced sewer systems backing up and overflowing.
The damage inflicted by the record downpour has impacted both family homes and many area businesses. Properties that did experience flooding and were not properly remediated are now likely facing mold growth which can often occur out of sight below flooring and in wall and ceiling cavities.
“People living and working in these properties that experienced water damage and flooding need to be on the lookout for signs of allergies, colds and increased rates of asthma,” reported Ed Chambers, President of EC2, a Chicago based environmental consulting firm. “Any of these properties that also experienced flooding from sanitary sewer overflows (SSOs) need to be especially vigilant as they not only have health risks associated with mold and bacteria, but also viruses, parasites and all types of chemical contaminants,”
EC2 provided the following list of items people should be aware of after a sewer backup:
• Mold can be present in the sewage as well as allow already present mold spores to begin growing in the flooded environment.
• Bacteria are naturally present in sewage. Bacteria, such as E. coli, can have a devastating effect on people.
• Viruses, such as hepatitis, can be found in sewage.
• Active parasites, or their eggs, can potentially infect people.
• Protozoa, a diverse group of organisms, include many that cause human disease.
• Chemicals, such as household cleaning agents or industrial chemicals, could be present in sewage.
To help educate the public about environmental and health concerns following a sewer overflow, EC2 has sponsored a public outreach video that can be seen at:
To learn more about infectious disease prevention or mold, indoor air quality (IAQ) and environmental testing services please visit http://www.4ec2inc.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (815) 703-9000.
# # #
About EC2, Inc.
EC2 is a leading provider of environmental consulting and inspection services for customers in the United States. Based in the Chicago area, the company provides their services to clients ranging from local companies and institutions to international Fortune 500 Corporations.