News By Tag
News By Place
Nationwide Scholarship Opportunity For Ages 8 to 11 and Win $1000 Scholarship!
Just Announced: Author Adrienne Momi has announced a Nationwide Scholarship contest for students after reading The Amazing Adventures of Radish Toe.
Nationwide Scholarship Opportunity For Ages 8 to 11! Share the Most Important Lesson You Learned From Friendship and You Can Win $1000 Scholarship!
APTOS, CA (August 1, 2011) Santa Cruz County, California author and artist Adrienne Momi announces the launch of her scholarship contest for students ages 8 to11. A writer and illustrator, Adrienne Momi has always had a passion for classic stories of adventure of mythology and the value of friendship has always been among her favorite themes.
Momi’s most recent work is The Amazing Adventures of Radish Toe, a narrative poem about a monkey named Radish Toe. A loose retelling of the fairy tale Rapunzel, the story is imbued with mythic content appealing to both children and adults with a youthful, playful attitude. Readers follow the adventures of the loveable monkey Radish Toe as she is kidnapped from her family by a devious snake until she is saved by a brave loyal giraffe. With talking animals, exotic settings, impossible situations, and beautifully descriptive language, the poem communicates the importance of friendship and how right-mindedness can prevail over misfortune.
Commenting on the relevance and content of the book, Momi remarked, "The book’s archetypal themes are “as valid today as at any historical time. We meet the theme of innocence redeemed again and again in world literature. ”
In celebration of the strong response to the book, Momi is holding a nationwide scholarship contest for students ages 8 – 11 based on the book’s themes and lessons. She invites students to tell the world “What is the most important lesson you learned from friendship?” The contest is simple. After reading The Amazing Adventures of Radish Toe, students should consider and write about the following questions:
• Do you have a friendship you can share that is like the relationship between Radish Toe and giraffe?
• Do you have a friend who is mean like Snake?
• Why is friendship important?
• How can right-mindedness can prevail over misfortune?
• Describe the friend who surprised you the most and helped you learn a valuable lesson or a friend that helped when you had a big problem.
Participating students are encouraged to use personal experiences in their essays whenever possible.
• All entries must be typed.
• Include first and last name for each entry.
• Include mailing address and email address (Use of school mailing address is permitted).
• Entries should be no more than 500 words.
• All participating students must be between the ages of 8 – 11.
• All entries must be received via email on November 15, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.
• All entries must be emailed to the contest coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Prizes include a $1,000 scholarship for first prize, $500 for second prize and $250 for third prize.
To purchase The Amazing Adventures of Radish Toe and get started on your essay, go to http://radishtoe.com/
For more information on Momi visit her studio at 980 17th Avenue in Santa Cruz or her website, www.adriennemomi.com. Momi can also be contacted on her Facebook page or via email at email@example.com. For additional information, please contact Marci Bracco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Background On The Amazing Adventures of Radish Toe Author Adrienne Momi:
Inspired by the past to create stories and art of timeless and ageless appeal, writer and illustrator Adrienne Momi brings her unique artistic and academic background to the world of children’s literature. Momi has a BS and MS in mathematics from Washington University, St Louis, Missouri. She received her Ph.D. in Mythological Studies from Pacifica Graduate Institute, Santa Barbara, CA. Before coming to children’s literature, Momi was an international professional artist for more than 40 years, as well as a teacher of art, humanities, and mathematics at the University of Missouri at St. Louis and St Louis Community College, Pacifica Graduate Institute, and numerous workshops. Momi works from MomiLani Paper Arts, an instructional art space at 17th Avenue Studios in Santa Cruz offering classes in printmaking, papermaking, books arts, collage and imagination expansion. The Amazing Adventures of Radish Toe is her first children’s story.