News By Tag
News By Location
The marketplace of greeting card art
Important factors when becoming a greeting card artist
Getting involved with the design of greetings card art can be a good place to start for artists and illustrators wishing to get their art licensed. Some of the well known publishers will work on behalf of the artists, getting the artists name, bio, and photo on the back of the published card. Research has been carried out to show that buyers are demanding more and more information from manufacturers of their cards. Additionally some publishers work to promote the artist through press release and advertising material.
One of the most important areas to understand for artists is looking ahead to the point of sale. Cards normally appear in racks amongst hundreds, if not thousands of other designs. Does the top half of the card tell the buyer what the occasion is? Is it obvious what the sentiment is? A designer will need to consider the factors, as well as who the targeted age group is for the card design.
Get to know the ranges that greetings card publishers have and keep up to date with the changing trends. In many cases you will observe various criteria such as, size, proportioning, the topic/subject matter, colouring and also media used.
Take note that some large corporations use an in-house designer but you will often find adverts for freelance designer roles. You will find yourself in a competitive field where the standards are high. Whilst art which subjects itself to celebrations such as Birthday, Wedding, Baby Birth, Anniversary, Thank you is popular, it would be helpful to use a similar style of art which fits in with what the company already produces.
Image Source Art Licensing can work on your behalf to establish your creative career and are always looking to represent new artists. Samples of your work for consideration will be accepted by post or email. If your artwork has potential for licensing, Image Source will be happy to visit you to outline how they work and discuss your portfolio in detail.
What Image Source will do for you...
1. Create opportunities for your work to be licensed to our worldwide customer base, for use in the greeting card, stationery, print and gift industries, etc.
2. Compile a digital portfolio of your designs.
3. Your work will be promoted through various means, eg. Exhibitions, website, mailshots, advertising, presentations, etc.
4. Negotiate the best possible fees, chase payment and send you regular sales statements.
5. Offer art direction and guidance, where needed, and provide ongoing advice, reference and support as to current and future trends/colouring etc.
Points you should bear in mind...
1. You will rarely have direct contact with customers.
2. Image Source will require a percentage commission on each sale.
Image Source is an Art Licensing Agency. For Further information, please contact us enquiry@image-
# # #
Image Source is one of the UK's leading art licensing agencies, representing over 80 talented artists. Our Portfolio of over 35,000 stock designs offer a wide range of artistic styles, including traditional, cute/whimsical, contemporary and abstract.