News By Tag
* Film Festival
* Rhode Island
* Paul Sorvino
* Academy Awards
* GLBT Film Festival
* Bob Marley documentary
* More Tags...
News By Place
Rhode Island International Film Festival to host 18 world premieres and honor legendary Paul Sorvino
The Rhode Island International Film Festival will be held August 9 – 14 in Providence, R.I. New England’s only Academy Award-qualifying film festival. RIIFF gives audiences first looks at tomorrow’s top feature, short and documentary films.
One of the festival’s highlights will be RIIFF’s presentation of its Lifetime Achievement Award to veteran actor Paul Sorvino. Sorvino, who starred in Goodfellas, Romeo and Juliet (1996) and The Cooler, has had a colorful career playing multi-faceted and intriguing roles in hit movie and televisions shows. Sorvino will attend a special reception at D’Vine in Providence, from 5 to 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 11. At 7:15 p.m. Sorvino’s latest film, Lily of the Feast, will be screened at the Vets. Sorvino will be honored preceding the film’s screening.
This year, RIIFF received a record 4,537 submissions from filmmakers representing more than 60 countries. After whittling down the talent-filled pool to just 195 films, RIIFF now announces the full schedule of screenings for its six-day festival. [http://riff.slated.com/
RIIFF opens at The Vets on Aug. 9 at 7 p.m. with screenings of some of the festival’s top short films, followed by a reception for audiences and film-makers. Tickets, for both the screenings and the following after party are $25. [http://riff.slated.com/
Additional RIIFF special events will include:
• The North American premiere of Bob Marley: The Making of a Legend; a documentary film comprised of rare “lost footage” (Aug. 13, 5:00 p.m. at Roots Café, $10)
• Free outdoor premiere of Everyday Sunshine: The Story of Fishbone, and a performance by local folk/rock band The Mighty Good Boys (Aug. 13, 7:00 p.m. at Grant’s Block)
• The annual ScriptBiz Screenwriters’
• World premiere of the feature documentary Family Band The Cowsills Story, directed by Louise Palanker and Ian Broyle, chronicling the storied career of Newport, RI.’s famous singing family band from the 1960s. Following the screening, members of the Cowsills will be giving a long-awaited reunion performance at The Vets
• As a cinematic sidebar to the festival, RIIFF’s 12th annual will offer dramas, comedies, and documentaries centered on the GLBT community. [http://riff.slated.com/
Giving the audience a full film festival experience, RIIFF is hosting nightly filmmakers’ parties at popular restaurants and lounges across Providence. Open to the public for $10, these celebrations give guests the exclusive chance to rub shoulders with industry professionals and top international talent.
For a full list of film synopses, actor listings and trailers, please see the Festival Genius application at RIFilmFest.org
ABOUT THE FLICKERS: RHODE ISLAND INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Since its founding 1997, The FLICKERS: Rhode Island International Film Festival (RIIF) has become a world-renowned gateway to the world’s finest independent cinema. Captivating the international community of filmmakers and audiences to its international main-stage in Providence, R.I., the festival represents the confluence of art and commerce by offering not only world premieres of feature, documentary and short films, but by also offering filmmaking workshops, meet-and-greet industry events and seminars. The FLICKERS: Rhode Island International Film Festival has been recognized as one of the top-12 Film Festivals in the United States, and is one of 65 prequalifying Oscar festivals for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. For more information, visit www.RIFilmFest.org or call (401) 861-4445.