News By Tag
News By Place
Urban Music Conference Planned for Zimbabwe, December 16 - 18, 2011
Call for Papers, workshops and music. The Pan African Performance Program will hold a conference on urban music from Africa and its Diaspora in Zimbabwe.
While exploring these dynamics, we will incorporate into the presentations these and other themes:
• Impact of new media and technology
• Music and gender
• Genealogies and influences
• Globalization, citizenship, and identity
• Music use in national spheres
• Music, social intervention, and advocacy
• Culture endangerment, preservation, and documentation
• The agency of language
• Intellectual and property rights in the digital age
• Cultural interchange
• Music and fashion
• Music and dance
The organizers invite contributions to the conference program from scholars, commentators, critics, artists, and others from all over the world. Papers should be designed for 20 minutes long presentations and workshops for 2 hour long sessions.
Please submit the following information:
• Title of proposed paper or workshop
• Abstract that does not exceed 250 words. The abstract should include the paper’s argument or workshop’s description and theoretical framework
• Brief biography of 200 words or less
• A/V needs
• Full contact information (email address, mailing address, primary telephone
number, and institutional affiliation)
Artists or their managers should indicate their desire to be considered to perform at the conference by submitting the following information:
• Link to their music or videos online
• Full contact information (email address, mailing address, and primary telephone
Deadline for submission of abstracts and performance requests: August 30, 2011.
Notification of acceptance: September 7, 2011 (September 30 for artists).
Conference: December 16-18, 2011.
Submit the above materials and/or questions regarding the conference to the conference convener, Dr. Wonderful Bere, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information and conference updates visit www.panafricanperformance.org.
# # #
The Pan African Performance Program is a cultural and educational organization facilitating the research and teaching of African and Pan African performance forms and promoting greater understanding of the cultures originating from Africa. It, thus, serves as a forum for generating greater intercultural understanding and global diversity