News By Tag
News By Location
Living With Arthritis: 5 Ways to Find Relief at Home
Follow these tips for managing arthritis at home.
1. Use moist heat to alleviate pain. By increasing circulation, moist heat brings new healing blood cells to tissues and temporarily relieves pain. Try taking warm showers in the morning, and use moist heat packs on affected areas as needed. When shopping for an arthritis pad or a moist heat pack, look for easy controls and automatic cooling safety features.
2. Keep moving with exercise. Moving your joints may help with stiffness. Try a daily walk and incorporate gentle stretching. Exercise will also help keep your weight down, helping knees and hips. Consult with your doctor before beginning an exercise program.
3. Try therapy braces for support. Some offer a choice of applying hot or cold therapy to ankles, elbows, knees, wrists and back. Designed to reduce swelling, relieve pain and increase mobility, braces also provide support to heal and prevent injuries.
4. Look into products for managing arthritis at home. Open It! Rx makes a line of pill bottles and openers that are easy to use for those with stiff hands. Make using the commode safer and more comfortable with a raised seat and grab bar. And don’t forget to equip a favorite easy chair with a mobility handle; Stander makes one with a pivoting tray to use for snacks, crafts or laptop use. Look here for products to make managing arthritis easier: http://caregiverpartnership.com/
5. Take your medication as directed. If you’ve been taking your medication when and how you’ve been instructed to, and you’re still in pain, call your doctor to inquire about other medications or to see if you’re a candidate for joint replacement.
# # #
About The CareGiver Partnership. The CareGiver Partnership helps caregivers and their loved ones with answers to their caregiving questions, including information about home health care products and supplies, from our Wisconsin-based team of Product Specialists who are all current or former caregivers. The company’s Web site provides the largest online library of resources on subjects most important to caregivers — from arthritis to assisted living, and Parkinson’s to prostate cancer — as well as access to more than 3,000 home care products for incontinence, skin care, mobility, home safety and daily living aids. The CareGiver Partnership was founded in 2004 by Lynn Wilson of Neenah, Wis. Visit http://www.caregiverpartnership.com to learn more or call 1-800-985-1353.