News By Tag
* Society for Nutrition Education
* Dietary Guidelines
* Nutrition Policy
* Wellness Initiatives
* More Tags...
News By Location
2011 Society for Nutrition Education Conference in Kansas City Focuses on Nutrition Gatekeepers
The Society for Nutrition Education (SNE) will gather in Kansas City, July 23 – 26 for the 44th SNE Annual Conference, “Empowering the Nutrition Gatekeepers: From Parents to Products to Policy.”
Beginning pre-conference workshop continuing with opening keynote “Why Parents Don’t Matter at Mealtime” by Susan Rubin, DMD, HHC, Better School Food, conference attendees will experience education sessions featuring the latest research on dietary guidelines, educational strategies, nutrition policy, and wellness initiatives.
Key conference programming includes:
• “Smarter Lunchrooms – Getting Children to Eat Healthier by Design” Speakers: Brian Wansink, PhD, Cornell University; David Just, PhD, MS, BA, Cornell University; Joanne Guthrie, PhD, MPH, RD, USDA Food Assistance & Nutrition Research Program; Laura Smith, BS, Cornell University
• “Do Companies Fall Short in Promoting Nutrition and Can We Help?” Speakers: Melissa Musiker, MPP, RD, LD, Grocery Manufacturers Association, Susan T. Borra, RD, Food Marketing Institute, Leslie Mikkelsen, MPH, RD, Prevention Institute
• “Making the 2010 Dietary Guidelines Stick” Speakers: Kevin Concannon, MSW, USDA Under Secretary for Food, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, New York University, Wendy Reinhardt-Kapsak, MS, RD, International Food Information Council
• “The Truth and Myths about Sodium” – Speaker: Judith Stern, ScD, University of California, Davis
This premier event for nutrition education professionals from around the world allows attendees the opportunity to interface with influential nutritionists from extension, public health, government, academia, industry, and community settings. Nearly 30 continuing education credits can be earned through conference attendance.
“By coming together and collaborating during the SNE Annual Conference, the nutrition education community will realize more successes and more opportunities,”
In addition to education sessions, the SNE Annual Conference features an exhibit hall, viewing of “We Feed the World,” awards ceremony, fun run, and silent auction to benefit the Society of Nutrition Education Foundation.
Detailed conference information is online at http://www.sne.org/
# # #
About the Society for Nutrition Education: The Society for Nutrition Education (SNE) represents the professional interests of nutrition educators. SNE is dedicated to promoting effective nutrition education and communication to support and improve healthful behaviors.