News By Tag
News By Location
CMA Artist H-II Stephen Michael Apatow on the Missouri Tornado Devastation - NVOAD - How To Help
At least 89 people have died in a monster tornado that left a path of destruction nearly a mile wide through the heart of Joplin, Missouri, with some 2,000 buildings destroyed.
* At least 89 people have died in a monster tornado that left a path of destruction nearly a mile (1 km) wide through the heart of Joplin, Missouri, directly hit the small Midwestern city's main hospital with about 180 patients and destroyed some 2,000 other buildings.
* U.S. weather officials said the tornado that hit at dinnertime on Sunday may have been the single deadliest in the country since 1953.
* Rescue crews from throughout the region worked all night and into Monday morning in the town of about 50,000 people, searching for anyone still alive in the rubble.
During the Month of May alone, FEMA has recorded 14 Major Disaster Declarations  that have impacted Idaho, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Mississippi, Minnesota, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Kentucky and Arkansas. The Great Mississippi and Missouri Rivers Flood of 2011, continues to impact Midwestern states, and has already shattered river-stage level records set during during the '27 and '37 floods in several cities from Cairo to Baton Rouge. 
How to Help
50 National Members of the National Voluntary Organizations Active In Disaster (NVOAD) are organizations with a national scope and reach when responding to disasters. A list of the organizations, with information, donation and volunteer links as available online at:
Leadership in the Face of Adversity, Against the Odds and Outside of the Box
2010 marked 20 years of dedication to humanitarian relief efforts and policy development  by H-II: Stephen Michael Apatow, founder of the Humanitarian Resource Institute and United Nations Arts Initiative. Since 1989, national project development and advocacy work included the formation of Humanitarian Resource Institute, to "Bridge Unmet Needs to Untapped Resources." As director of research and development for the Humanitarian University Consortium Graduate Studies Center for Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Law, he promotes leadership development through strategic planning, critical analysis, expert think tank development for background discussions, peer reviewed data compilation and communications that engage decision makers and target audiences on the grassroots level, in all U.S. states and territories. Today, this work continues through the United Nations Arts Initiative and promotion of "Arts Integration Into Education."
1. UPDATE 2-Tornado kills at least 89 in Joplin, Missouri: Reuters, 23 May 2011. Url: www.reuters.com/
2. FEMA: 2011 Federal Disaster Declarations. Url: www.fema.gov/
3. Mississippi floods strain levee system; defy efforts to control river: The Commercial Appeal, Memphis Tennessee, 15 May 2011. Url:
4. Leadership in the Face of Adversity, Against the Odds and Outside of the Box: On The Lecture Circuit: H-II: Stephen Michael Apatow, HRI: United Nations Arts Initiative, 12 May 2011. Url: www.unarts.org/
# # #
Humanitarian Resource Institute United Nations Arts Initiative: Promoting the arts as a vehicle for solution oriented strategic planning and development across the globe.