News By Tag
* Snake Bites
* Coral Snakes
* More Tags...
News By Location
Snake Bite Prevention | Snake Bites and Your Pets | www.ThriftyPetSupply.com
Snake bites can be very harmful to you and your pets and in some cases if not treated properly can result in death. ThriftyPetSupply has put together some great prevention and care tips for sanke bite safety. Please safely enjoy the great outdoors.
Summer is coming and so is the season for snakes that will be coming out all over the county, ThriftyPetSupply thought a little information on what to do about snake bites, what places to avoid, and the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous snake bites would be useful. ThriftyPetSupply would love to hear your stories on how to deal with snakes and their bites as well any precautions you may have taken to keep all of your pets healthy.
In the United States, there are four poisonous varieties: Cottonmouth moccasins, rattlesnakes, copperheads and coral snakes (these are often referred to as Pit Vipers). The diagnosis of poisonous snake bite is made by the appearance of the bite and knowing the difference can mean all the difference between life and death for your pet’s health.
Coral Snakes: Are known for their colorful banding of red, yellow and black and can be found in the Southern and Eastern US. They grow up to 3 feet in length. Remember, “if red touches yellow, you’re a dead fellow” meaning if the red and yellow bands touch on the Coral Snake it’s the real deal and is venomous.
In order to avoid a snake bite for your four legged family member ThriftyPetSupply has found some key tricks and wanted to share them with everyone:
• Keep your dog on a leash when walking outside or away from your home.
• Don’t let them wander off into high brush and grass.
• If you’re in a high risk area, bring a walking stick with you to stir up the brush and let the snakes know you’re coming and for your safety wear high boots.
• If you see a snake on your walk, just turn around and go the other way. This happened to me and I didn’t care how far out of the way it took me. It scared the life out of me to be honest!
• Keep them away from streams and riverbeds. Snakes like to hide in the tall grasses along the water.
• Know where your nearest emergency Vet clinic is in your area.
• Get a Snake Vaccine from your local vet if necessary.
ThriftyPetSupply discovered some helpful signs and symptoms from the American Red Cross that are very important in determining if your pet has been bitten by a poisonous snake are:
• The first signs are extreme restlessness, panting, drooling and weakness
• Bleeding puncture wound
• Blood does not clot
• Breathing stops
• Bruising or sloughing of the skin over the bitten area
• Fang marks may or may not be visible, due to the dogs hair
• Neurological signs such as twitching and drooling
• Pain and abnormal discomfort
• Signs of Shock
• Swelling of the bitten area. This can be severe and progress for more than a day.
ThriftyPetSupply knows how scary and chaotic it can be if your pet is bitten by a snake and has found these “To Do’s” very helpful:
• If you can, try to identify the snake type, but be aware that the venom can still be lethal for up to 1 1/2 hours even if the snake has been decapitated.
• Perform pet CPR and check the dog’s vital signs. You will learn this in your First Aid for Dogs class.
• Keep the dog calm and carry them, if possible, home and to your car. The toxins spread faster throughout their body when they are moving.
• DO NOT try to suck the venom out of the wound. DO NOT use ice on the area and DO NOT us a tourniquet. These things could harm your pet further.
• Take your dog immediately to the Vet or Emergency Vet Clinic as time is of the essence.
ThriftyPetSupply is always glad when a customer brings a story or information to us that we can share with all of our customers. It is of the utmost importance for all of us at ThriftyPetSupply that all pets are given the care they need in all situations. As always please submit a story or a request for information updates and we will do our best supply all the information we can for you.
And Always Remember, BooYa To Pets!!
# # #
Thrifty Pet Supply is committed to you and your pet. We offer you an easy to use website, large selection of pet supplies, and the best service in the pet supply business.
BooYah to Pets!