News By Tag
* Rev Al Sharpton
* National Action Network
* Oral Health
* Dr Catrise Austin
* Vip Smiles
* Affordable Health
* More Tags...
News By Location
Follow on Google News
New York Celebrity Dentist Says, Despite The Economy, “Oral Healthcare Can't Wait™”
Dentist Dr. Catrise Austin kicks off an oral health awareness campaign to warn consumers about the risks of delaying dental checkups and treatment this Friday April 8th at Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network Conference in New York City
By: Dr. Catrise Austin
Dr. Austin’s Oral Healthcare Can’t Wait™ Campaign is a local component of a national awareness initiative sponsored by The Dental Trade Alliance (DTA), a nonprofit trade association representing leading dental manufacturers, distributors, and laboratories.
According to Dr. Austin, “There’s no denying that the last several years have been tough financially for many New York residents. The current economic climate is causing many people to either postpone the treatment plans recommended by their dentists, or to put off dental visits altogether. Unfortunately, there are long-term health risks associated with postponing oral care.”
Some of the risks that Dr. Austin is referring to include the following:
• Tooth decay is a progressive disease. Postponing treatment can lead to more complex, more expensive treatment, such as a root canal or extraction.
• Tooth decay is a communicable disease. Your untreated cavities can be spread to your loved ones.
• Recent studies have linked undiagnosed and untreated periodontal disease with a negative impact on patients with heart disease, diabetes, and other systemic health conditions.
• Chronic bad breath is usually due to conditions that may be easily prevented by regular oral hygiene appointments and consultation.
“With so many people looking for jobs or worried about their job security, it must be noted that having bad breath and discolored, damaged, or missing teeth are the kiss of death in today’s competitive job market,” explains Dr. Catrise Austin. “Your smile is the first thing employers, managers, and co-workers notice.”
Is the Oral Healthcare Can’t Wait Campaign just a way for dentists to make money during tough times? Absolutely not, says Dr. Austin. “The mouth is the gateway to the rest of the body and its overall health. If more people realized this, they would prioritize their discretionary spending accordingly. Choosing between undergoing gum disease or cavity treatment versus buying a new cell phone or clothes would become a no-brainer.”
• Dental professionals are primarily focused on prevention when their patients allow them to do so. However, many wait until emergency conditions such as pain prevail. By this time, the course of treatment is more invasive and costly.
• Many patients are not taking full advantage of the scope of services covered by their dental insurance. Your dentist’s office manager can be very helpful in this area.
• Most dentists are very flexible when it comes to paying out-of-pocket expenses. Ask about using a credit card or working out a payment plan.
• Talk to your dentist about prioritizing your treatment plan. Ask what needs to be done immediately and what can wait until you have more discretionary income.
“Oral Healthcare Can’t Wait is a very important national initiative with the ultimate goal of sustaining and improving oral health in America,” explained Dr. Catrise Austin. “I’m very proud to do my part and spread the message within my local community.”
To kick off her local Oral Healthcare Can’t Wait campaign, Dr. Catrise Austin will be leading an oral health panel discussion at Rev. Al Sharpton’s 20th Annual National Action Network Conference in New York City Friday April 8th, 2011 at the Sheraton Times Square from 1-2:30 PM. Dr. Austin will be discussing along with other dental industry leaders some of the top dental issues such as the importance of prevention, access to dental care and local dental resources, and do-it yourself tips to maintain optimum oral health at home between dental visits. For more information about the National Action Network Conference visit www.nationalactionnetwork.net
About Dr. Catrise Austin
As the first private practice dentist in the nation certified to offer HIV testing to patients while in the dental chair, Dr. Catrise Lynette Austin is a trailblazing expert in the field of dentistry. She is an author, professional speaker, entrepreneur, and founder of VIP Smiles-a modern dental practice in New York City. Notable celebrities such as Paula Abdul; Dancing With The Stars dancers Karina Smirnoff and Maksim Chmerkovskiy;
About the Dental Trade Alliance
The Dental Trade Alliance is an association of companies that provide dental equipment, supplies, materials, and services to dentists and other oral care professionals. Its member companies are distributors, dental laboratories, and manufacturers located in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. By providing the best equipment, materials, and services to dentists and oral care professionals, they are partners in improving the oral health of everyone. For more information, visit www.dentaltradealliance.org
# # #
Dr. Catrise Lynette Austin is a trailblazing expert in the field of dentistry. She is an author, professional speaker, entrepreneur, and founder of VIP Smiles-a modern dental practice in New York City.
Page Updated Last on: Apr 07, 2011