Dangers of Your Medication to Pets Health
Carelessly leaving your medication on the dining table, on the bed, on the stool or sofa can lead to very dangerous health conditions for our pets.
By: Dog Diarrhea Treatments.com
If your dog consumes your medication, it would be advisable to take him to the vet for a proper diagnosis as this has resulted in kidney failure in some dogs.
An earlier story myfoxatlanta.com gives an insight of the dreadful things that could happen if people are careless at home.
‘ “If you have kids in the house, you know to put medications out of reach. But what about pets?
You may not realize it – but the drugs you rely on every day to treat aches and pains – could be toxic to dogs and cats.
If you leave something out – even if it’s pushed away from the counter top – pets are going to find a way to get to it.
And poison experts say a lot of the over-the-counter drugs we have around the house can be really dangerous – even deadly – to our pets.
For a lot of pets, there’s nothing quite as tempting as getting their paws on something new. They’ll climb on tables, surf counter tops, and if they stumble on anything even remotely intriguing, they’re on it faster than you can say “get down.” But experts say some meds you may not think twice about leaving out – can land your pet in a world of hurt.
“It is a problem. At the Georgia Poison Center, we take roughly 600 pet poisoning calls per month,” said Stephanie Hon, Assistant Director of the Georgia Poison Center. “About 6 or 7,000 calls per year.”
Stephanie Hon, assistant director of the Georgia Poison Center, says about a quarter pet poisoning calls they here get involve animals who’ve ingested common over-the-counter medications,
“Pets can jump onto things, specifically cats. Dogs can pounce on top of a coffee table, where we keep our medications in the middle and they don’t know what is medication and what is food,” said Hon.
Hon says really common pain drugs like ibuprofen, acetominophen and naproxen – in large enough amounts – can trigger liver and kidney failure in pets.
And even cold and allergy meds cause seizures.
“Pets can easily also rip into bottles of medications that we have tightly secured and we think oh, no pet’s going to bite into that bottle & get into the med inside. it doesn’t take long for a dog or a cat that has strong teeth to actually rip open a bottle and get what’s inside and ingest it,” said Hon.
But sometimes, Hon says, pet owners – not realizing the risks – give their animals meds meant for them.
Many people think ‘Oh, I bought it OTC, without prescription, it isn’t necessarily harmful to me or harmful to my pet’, where to the contrary it can be very deadly,” said Hon.
Veterinarian Dr. Ashley Alford of the Village Vets of Decatur has treated dogs and cats suffering toxic overdoses.
You can read the rest of the article at the following blog:
# # #
All About Dog Diarrhea Treatment
Being a dog owner i know how discomforting it can be if your dog is has diarrhea and you can not afford to watch him suffer and you don’t know how to treat him.