News By Tag
* Diabetic Foot Care
* Doctor of podiatry
* Foot Care
* Pain in the feet
* Neuropathy in feet
* Peripheral Neuropathy
* More Tags...
News By Place
Claims of Neuropathy Cures Are Often False and Misleading
Peripheral neuropathy is due to damage to the nerves, especially those nerves that supply the feet and the hands.
• A recent symposium attended by specialists at Mount Sinai School of Medicine and the University of California, San Diego evaluated the efficacy and benefits of 14 prescription medications for the treatment diabetic/peripheral neuropathy.
• An article in Medical News Today noted that pulse infrared light therapy has been shown to increase peripheral sensation.
• A recent study conducted by Pam Laboratories, the makers of Metanx,® an FDA approved medical food, has shown that the certain nutritional supplements have been shown to increase sensitivity.
These are just a few of the studies and advances in the field of peripheral neuropathy. These are credible and believable statements about neuropathy. The fact is, there is no one silver bullet that will cure or eliminate neuropathy pain and numbness. Relieving the discomfort of neuropathy requires small steps including medication, nutritional supplements, therapies and restoring balance when walking.
Unfortunately there are far too many misleading and fraudulent claims about “neuropathy cures.” These shameless claims are seen on the internet, newspapers, magazines, radio and infomercials. The following is just a small sampling of so-called neuropathy cures:
• Finally, a solution for peripheral neuropathy-if you suffer from peripheral neuropathy, change your life today by being one of the first 25 callers.
• New neuropathy treatment eliminates or reduces peripheral neuropathy symptoms without drugs or surgery.
• Discover the little known truth about ending neuropathy symptoms.
• New medical device eliminates neuropathy pain.
Let’s examine some of those claims regarding curing neuropathy. Dr. XX states that he has a solution for neuropathy-if you are one of the first 25 callers. I guess if you are the 26th caller and you have neuropathy, you are out of luck. Imagine a prestigious medical and research center such as the Mayo Clinic, stating that they can only help the first 25 people who called.
Next claim-“new treatment and medical device, eliminates the need for surgery or medication to relieve neuropathy pain.” Dr. XX and the creator of this medical device should receive a Noble prize in medicine-since they can do what no other medical facility in the US, or in fact in the world can do-that is eliminate neuropathy with a wave of the proverbial magic wand.
These claims would be laughable if it weren’t for the fact that they are grossly fraudulent and misleading. How do these individuals and companies get away with making these statements? I have no idea! The fact is that there is no watchdog consumer advocacy group that can possibly investigate all these claims. The Better Business Bureau does a good job but literally handles thousand of reported cases of misrepresentation and fraud on a local and national level. Unless the product is grievously harmful or involves a significant monetary loss-most of these false claims “slip through the cracks.”
Unfortunately many of these individuals who are making these misleading claims are playing on the desperation on those people who are suffering from peripheral neuropathy. Neuropathy can be incredibly uncomfortable and life-altering. This makes an unsuspecting person susceptible to believing these untruthful statements. Reputable medical professionals will never make such sweeping statements. A good source for referrals and additional information is the Neuropathy Association. They are based in New York and are the primary organization and advocacy group for peripheral neuropathy. You can also correspond with me if you have questions or concerns-contact me at email@example.com.
# # #
The Foot Pain Center was established in 1974 by Dr. Marc Spitz. An all-inclusive practice, we offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic medical care for patients with general foot and toenail disorders, diabetic problems and peripheral neuropathy.