Ten Tax Benefits for Parents

Did you know that your children may help you qualify for some tax benefits? Here are 10 tax benefits the IRS wants parents to consider when filing their tax returns this year.
By: Ali Schneider, SFS Tax, Accounting
Feb. 11, 2011 - PRLog -- If you are comfortable in the knowledge of how the IRS's new tax laws apply to you and are planning on preparing your tax return on your own, below is some valuable information that  may assist you in that preparation.
If you have any hesitation that you might be "missing" something on your tax return, please contact us at info@sfstaxact.com or visit or website: http://www.sfstaxacct.com.

1.      Dependents- In most cases, a child can be claimed as a dependent in the year they were born.
2.      Child Tax Credit -You may be able to take this credit on your tax return for each of your children under age 17. If you do not benefit from the full amount of the Child Tax Credit, you may be eligible for the Additional Child Tax Credit.
3.     Child and Dependent Care Credit -You may be able to claim the credit if you pay someone to care for your child under age 13 so that you can work or look for work.
4.     Earned Income Tax Credit -The EITC is a benefit for certain people who work and have earned income from wages, self-employment or farming. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may also give you a refund.
5.    Adoption Credit -You may be able to take a tax credit for qualifying expenses paid to adopt an eligible child.  Taxpayers claiming the adoption credit must file a paper tax return because adoption-related documentation must be included.  
6.    Children with Earned Income- If your child has income earned from working they may be required to file a tax return.
7.   Children with Investment Income- Under certain circumstances a child’s investment income may be taxed at the parent’s tax rate.
8.   Higher Education Credits -Education tax credits can help offset the costs of education. The American Opportunity and the Lifetime Learning Credit are education credits that reduce your federal income tax dollar-for-dollar, unlike a deduction, which reduces your taxable income.
9.   Student loan Interest -You may be able to deduct interest you pay on a qualified student loan. The deduction is claimed as an adjustment to income so you do not need to itemize your deductions.
10. Self-employed health insurance deduction- If you were self-employed and paid for health insurance, you may be able to deduct any premiums you paid for coverage after March 29, 2010, for any child of yours who was under age 27 at the end of 2010, even if the child was not your dependent

# # #

About SFS Tax, Accounting & College Planning Services: We offer tax, accounting, payroll and a full array of business services. We also work with families of every income level to create effective financial strategies to fund college without going broke, sacrificing their current lifestyle or risking financial security.
Email:***@sfstaxacct.com Email Verified
Tags:Tax Returns, Tax Preparation, Enrolled Agent, Bookkeeping, Taxpayer Representation
Industry:Accounting, Tax preparation
Location:Royal Palm Beach - Florida - United States
Account Email Address Verified     Account Phone Number Verified     Disclaimer     Report Abuse
SFS Tax Problem Solutions PRs
Trending News
Most Viewed
Top Daily News

Like PRLog?
Click to Share