News By Tag
News By Location
2011 Top Jobs for Felons – 5 Tips for Finding Employment for Felons in the New Year
High-paying jobs for felons are especially hard to find in today’s tough economic times but tough doesn’t mean impossible. Use these 5 tips to find a better career path for felons.
A good tip for felons is to look for employment that either requires no background check or those that are open to people with a past. It also has to be a position that the felon is qualified for. A good time saving idea is to only apply to companies that the felon would otherwise be qualified for and a good fit.
These are Top 5 ways to start looking for companies that hire felons:
1. Evaluate the following: Are you a good candidate for the career that you want? Do you have the training and skills needed? Do you have any experience? Do you have any character references to show that you have rehabilitated yourself?
2. Felons will have to actively look for companies that hire felons. Networking skills are a must to finding a good job. Call and ask friends, family, fellow church members, former co-workers, etc. for help in looking for a job.
3. Consider upgrade skill sets. This is especially important to consider if the felon has not had any recent training or work history. Not all jobs for felons require training but this will definitely make a person more attractive to potential employers over another. Hopefully, once good training is acquired then advancement in a chosen career is possible and with that earning more.
4. It’s helpful to check government or non-profit organizations that can help search for felony jobs. Asking a local or state employment agency if there are any resources for felons in your location is a good place to start. In some states, there are even job fairs for offenders where there are hundreds of companies with felon jobs available.
5. Employment for felons is available however, felon jobs are very competitive. When starting to look for jobs that hire felons take steps to learn how to create a good resume, dress for a job interview, and answer difficult interview questions. Doing these things will help present a case for the felon as a good candidate for the job.
There are actually many jobs for felons available such as temp work, truck driving, construction work, food service job like waiters, counter attendants, bus staff, etc. The problem with some of these felon friendly jobs is that many people feel that they don’t pay well or do not allow for any career advancement.
There are benefits to these seemingly low end jobs. It is easier to fund searches for higher-paying felon friendly jobs while having a job. Having consistent work no matter the type will make finding a job easier. Use these low-paying jobs for felons to build a work history – its way better than having a long period of unemployment on a resume. The longer an ex-offender is gainfully employed, the less relevant a felony record will be in the future when looking for high-income companies that hire felons. What seems like an insurmountable barrier when fresh out of prison will not be so difficult to overcome with a few years of good work history.
Despite having to work from the bottom up, there are growing opportunities for felons in the job market. Finding out where to look for companies, if new skills need to be learned, and applying persistence to the process will get an ex-offender started in the right direction and soon employed.
JobsforFelons101.com is dedicated to providing relevant information to help felons re-enter the work force. While most job opportunities for felons are entry level there are high-paying positions out there. Find more information, examples and direction to jobs for convicted felons that are exciting and pay well but do not require background checks.
For more tips, tools and training for a successful job search just visit http://www.JobsforFelons101.com.
# # #
About JobsforFelons101.com, the road to redemption from a felony charge can be a long and bumpy one and second chances can be hard to come by. I know that everyone can use some help sometimes and that's what I'm here for. I specialize in helping felons and ex convicts find gainful employment and become productive and positive members of society. JobsforFelons101.com is a free resource bank of tips, tools and training that will aide in finding jobs for felons. For more tips, tools and training for a successful job search visit http://www.JobsforFelons101.com