Mancebo To Captain RealCyclist.com Professional Cycling Team
Veteran Spanish climbing and stage-racing star will lead talented team for 2011 season
A seasoned climber and stage-racing strongman, Mancebo, who completed his 2010 racing season with the Kastro Heraklion-Murcia pro cycling team in Europe, brings expertise and veteran leadership to the RealCyclist.com Pro Cycling Team. With five top-10 finishes in the Tour de France in the last decade which included the Best Young Rider accolade in 2000, Mancebo is eager to race a full season in the U.S.
“About the new team, RealCyclist.com, I'm very excited about this new project. I'm very attracted to the idea of racing in the USA, and couldn't pass up the opportunity,”
A native of Madrid, Mancebo started his illustrious professional cycling career in 1998 with Spanish powerhouse Banesto. Earlier this year, Mancebo joined forces with US-based amateur team Canyon Bicycles to defend his 2009 Tour of Utah victory. He finished second overall in Utah this past August. In 2009, Mancebo won stage one of the Amgen Tour of California, was first overall at Vuelta a Asturias and second overall at the Cascade Classic.
“I'll be relying heavily on the leadership and experience of Francisco Mancebo to turn RealCyclist.com Pro Cycling Team into a tight fighting unit,” says directeur sportif Gord Fraser. "We have numerous young riders that are dipping their toes into full time NRC and UCI level competition for the first time. I'm looking forward to help mold our talented riders into a cohesive team as quickly as possible.”
In addition to Mancebo, the RealCyclist.com Pro Cycling Team will receive a big boost of seasoned experience from Colombia native Cesar Grajales. A climbing specialist, Grajales, 37, is best remembered for ousting Lance Armstrong on Brasstown Bald Mountain in 2004 at the Tour de Georgia. In 2010, Grajales took second place at the San Dimas Road Race, third on stage one of Tour of the Gila and won the King of the Mountain classification at the TD Bank Philadelphia International Cycling Classic.
RealCyclist.com Pro Cycling Team Roster:
• Francisco “Paco” Mancebo Pérez, 34, from Madrid, Spain. Resides in El Tiemblo, Avila, Spain. Pro since 1998. Career Highlights: 1st Spanish Marathon MTB Championship (2010 & 2009); 2nd overall, Tour of Utah (2010); 1st, stage 1, Amgen Tour of California (2009); 1st overall, Tour of Utah (2009); 1st overall, Vuelta a Asturias (2009); 2nd overall, Cascade Classic (2009).
• Cesar Grajales, 37, from Manizales, Caldas, Colombia. Resides in Atlanta, Ga. Pro since 1997. Career Highlights: Winner, King of the Mountain classification, TD Bank Philadelphia International Cycling Classic; 3rd, stage 1, Tour of the Gila (2010); 2nd, San Dimas Road Race (2010); 9th overall Tour of Utah (2010); Brasstown Bald Mountain winner, stage 6, Tour de Georgia (2004).
• Matt Crane, 25, from Hong Kong. Resides in Old Greenwich, Conn. Pro since 2007. Career Highlights: 2nd, stage 4 Joe Martin Stage Race (2010); 3rd Foothills Road Race (2010); winner, Most Courageous Rider classification, stage 5 Tour of California (2009); 6th, Under-23 National Time Trial Championship (2007).
• Frank Travieso, 30, from Havana, Cuba. Resides in Winterville, Ga. Pro since 2006. Career Highlights: 1st, Tour de Tuscaloosa, road race (2010); 1st, Rosewood Series Criterium (2010); 1st The US 10K Classic (2009); 1st, Tour of Elk Grove Criterium (2009).
• Evan Hyde, 26, from Anchorage, Alaska. Resides in Park City, Utah. Pro since 2010. Career Highlights: 1st, Tour of Anchorage (2010); 3rd, stage 3 Callville Bay Classic (2010).
• Ian Burnett, 24, from Durango, Colo. Resides in Durango, Colo. Pro since 2010. Career Highlights: 6th, International Cycling Classic (2010); 6th, USA Cycling Elite Track Nationals (2010); 2nd, USA Cycling Collegiate Track National Championship (2009).
• Oscar Clark, 21, from Atlanta, Ga. Resides in Atlanta, Ga. Pro since 2009. Career Highlights: 2nd U.S. U-23 National Criterium Championships (2010); 2nd USA Cycling Collegiate Track Nationals, points race (2010); 25th USA Cycling Pro Championships road race (2010).
• Josh Berry, 20, from Sun Valley, Idaho. Resides in Portland, Ore. Pro since 2010. Career Highlights: 1st Jason Broome Time Trial (2010); 10th Sea Otter Classic Road Race (2010); 21st U23 Elite Road National Championship (2010); 4th, USA Cycling National Mtn Bike Championships - Juniors (2006).
• Thomas Rabou, 27, from Schijndel, Netherlands. Resides in Loosbroek, Netherlands. Pro since 2006. Career Highlights: winner, King of the Mountain classification, Amgen Tour of California (2010); 4th, stage 6 Tour of Qinghai Lake; 2nd, stage 5, Mountains Classification, Circuito Montanes (2009), 3rd, stage 3, Tour d'Alsace (2009).
• Mike Midlarsky, 21, from New York, N.Y. Resides in Delray Beach, Fla. Pro since 2010. Career Highlights: 4th, Webster-Roubaix, Winter Springs FL (2010); 12th, Tour of America’s Dairyland Road Race (2009).
• Yosvany Falcon, 31, from Pinar De Rio, Cuba. Resides in Miami, Fla. Pro since 2004. Career Highlights: 1st, Chevron Manhattan Beach Grand Prix (2010); 1st, Tour Of America’s Dairyland Greenbush road race (2010 & 2009); 1st, Overall USA CRITS Championship Series (2009); 1st, stage 3 Vuelta a la Cuidad de Mexico (2009).
• Cole House, 22, from Oneida, Wis. Resides in Oneida, Wis. Pro since 2009. Career Highlights: 1st, Valley of the Sun Criterium (2010); 1st, Witnall Park road race , Superweek (2010); 4th, Merced Criterium (2010); 1st, Grand Prix Waregem (2009 & 1st American to win Belgium race); 7th U-23 Tour of Flanders (2008).
• Tommy Nankervis, 27, from Melbourne, Australia. Resides Melbourne, Australia. Pro since 2005. Career Highlights: 1st, Esplechin Kermesse in Belgium (2010); 1st, Kemmel Kermesse in Belgium (2010); 1st, La Pitgamoise GP in France (2010); Oceania Road Race Champion (2009); Best Young Rider classification winner for stage 1 of Tour de Georgia (2007).
# # #
RealCyclist.com is the hub for dedicated roadies, the kind who tune their bikes and bodies to absolute perfection. Featuring an interactive online community of cyclists who use the site to share personal feedback on gear through reviews, images, video posting, questions and answers, RealCyclist.com is the digital nexus between riders who value the gear they use and their passion for the sport. RealCyclist.com offers premium road cycling gear from companies like Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo, to reclusive artisan framebuilders, European apparel designers and small component production houses. RealCyclist.com is part of the Backcountry.com family of stores. Backcountry.com is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation attributed to the Liberty Interactive Group .