News By Tag
* Kristine W
* Dance Music
* Smooth Jazz
* Contemporary Jazz
* Janet Jackson
* Mariah Carey
* More Tags...
News By Location
Dance Music Phenom Kristine W Jazzes It Up With "Straight Up With A Twist"
If you can imagine the voices of Sarah Vaughan, Lisa Stansfield and Swing Out Sister’s Corinne Drewery as one, you’ll have an idea of what Kristine W sounds like."
Kristine’s venture into a new genre expands upon the incredible success she has enjoyed for many years in the dance world and beyond:
• She currently holds the world’s record for Most Consecutive #1 Billboard Club Hits with nine; Madonna and Janet Jackson each had seven in a row.
• She recently tied Mariah Carey for third-most chart toppers on the Dance/Club Play Songs chart; only Madonna (with 40) and Janet (19) have scored more at the pole position.
• In December, 2009, Billboard published both their Year End and Decade End charts announcing Kristine in the third place position on the Decade’s Best of 2000s Dance Club Play Artists list, trailing only Madonna and Beyonce.
• As a former Miss Washington Kristine won the talent and swimsuit competitions in the Miss America Pageant, and
• performed more shows at the Las Vegas Hilton than any other performer in its history—including Elvis!
"Straight Up with a Twist" may be Kristine W’s first official jazz recording, but jazz has been one of the singer’s greatest passions since early childhood. Growing up in Tri-Cities, Washington, her grandmother—
One of her reasons for recording "Straight Up with a Twist" was the constant requests of her dance fans who enjoyed the way she incorporated scat into that genre. While keeping them satisfied with her latest single “Fade,” the multi-talented singer, songwriter and performer is also released “Feel What You Want” as the debut single from Straight Up With A Twist; a hypnotic, bossa nova flavored take on her first #1 Dance hit in the mid-90s.
In addition to sensual and stylish interpretations of her most popular dance floor smashes (including “Feel What You Want,” “Wonder of It All,” “Save My Soul” and “Stronger”)
“One of the reasons "Straight Up with a Twist " took four years to complete was because I insisted on bringing the best musicians to the project and scheduling time with these busy artists was complicated,”
My new jazz projects are exciting because this style of music allows me to be heard during the chilled moments in life,” says Kristine. “Music is supposed to take people on a journey, and that’s exactly what I’m creating on "Straight Up with a Twist." This was a fun project to work on, and my favorite moments were when I was with my collaborators, throwing everything on the table, working on new arrangements and figuring out how to make that journey amazing for my fans. My audience has been so supportive of my music. I want to be in the mix for them anyway I can. I am blessed to be living my dream.”