News By Tag
News By Location
Lord Coe, AR Rahman, Sachin Tendulkar, VIPs at The Asian Awards 2010
“The Greatest Gathering Of Asian Excellence…Ever.” - Amitabh Bachchan, Actor. The Asian Awards 2010, in partnership with Lebara, is the first of its kind event celebrating achievement and excellence among South Asians from around the world.
• Yash Chopra – veteran Bollywood director
• Sachin Tendulkar – India’s legendary cricketer
• Vijay Mallya - Owner of United Breweries, Kingfisher Airlines and Force India F1 team
• AR Rahman – Double Oscar winner
• Gurinder Chadha – Director of Bend It Like Beckham
• Sir Richard Stagg – High Commissioner to the UK
• Sonu Niigaam – Renowned Bollywood playback singer
• Lord Sebastian Coe – Olympic gold medalist and Chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games
Also lending his support in the judging panel is Lord Alan Sugar. With leading figures in business, film, sport and politics giving their full support to the inaugural Asian Awards 2010, make this prestigious celebration of international South Asian excellence one of the most important awards ceremonies to launch this year.
Caroline Jackson Levy, managing director of UBM Awards, said: “We have been overwhelmed by the incredible response to the Asian Awards- it is quite simply an honour to have the support of some of the world’s greatest achievers.”
Legendary playback singer and songwriter Sonu Niigaam has also confirmed that he will couple his personal appearance at the awards with a rare live performance.
The Asian Awards 2010 is a collaboration between United Business Media and businessman Paul Sagoo. The awards also support Save the Children as its official charity.
For more information, interview requests and hi-res images, please contact:
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. The Asian Awards recognise and reward exemplary achievements across 11 categories and is open individuals born in (or with direct family origins in) India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh.
2. The process will identify individuals who parallel the achievements of great and iconic figures of the past; world-changers whose creativity touches enrich and inspire us in our daily lives.
3. A short list of nominees will be selected by an independent judging panel consisting of highly respected figures chaired by Baroness Verma of Leicester. The winners will be ratified by a second group of expert judges, again chaired by Lady Verma. Winners will be announced and honoured at Grosvenor House Hotel on October 26, 2010.
4. The Lebara Group is the headline sponsor of the Asian Awards and is also the sponsor of the Lebara People’s Choice Award, which has members of the UK general public voting for its winner.
5. The Lebara Group offers tailored innovative telecommunications solutions so that families, friends and colleagues can keep in touch, both at home and abroad
6. To show its support of such a high calibre, prestigious event, Lloyds Banking Group has chosen to become a key backer and officially sponsor the Business Leader of the Year and the Philanthropist of the Year awards.
7. The 11 categories are:
• Business Leader of the Year
• Entrepreneur of the Year
• Lifetime Achievement Award
• Outstanding Achievement in Art & Design
• Outstanding Achievement in Cinema
• Outstanding Achievement in Music
• Outstanding Achievement in Sport
• Outstanding Achievement in Television
• Philanthropist of the Year
• Public Service Award