News By Tag
* Long Island
* More Tags...
News By Location
Cyberknife of Long Island Celebrates its One-Year Anniversary in September 2010
Several milestones achieved following its first year treating patients in Suffolk County, New York.
• More than 120 patients have been treated in the first year, exceeding expectations. This represents over 500 patient treatments.
• The center has attracted patients for Cyberknife treatment from as far as Massachusetts and California.
• A Cyberknife Nurse Coordinator was added to support increasing levels of inquiries and to also assist with the efficient coordination of care for patients.
• Diseases most often treated in the last year include: lung tumors; prostate cancer; brain tumors and spinal tumors. Prostate and brain lesions represent the largest number, with 65% of treatments falling into this category.
• Neurosurgeons are referring patients with trigeminal neuralgia, an uncommon nerve disorder that causes excruciating, electroshock-
"Our first year has been extremely successful, and our team of physicians is constantly looking at new ways to grow the Cyberknife program and increase awareness for this cutting-edge treatment within the community," said Dr. Richard Byrnes, Medical Director of CyberKnife of Long Island.
“With the addition of Dr. Alan Katz, former director of the Cyberknife at Winthrop University Hospital to our practice we have been able to bring a wealth of knowledge to our practice” said Dr. Heather Zinkin, Radiation Oncologist at Cyberknife of Long Island. “His vast experience treating prostate cancer is among the largest in the world”.
CyberKnife is the world's only robotic radiosurgery system - a linear accelerator attached to a highly maneuverable robotic arm - and offers painless cancer treatment virtually anywhere in the human body. CyberKnife treats cancerous and benign tumors in the brain, spine, lung, liver, pancreas and prostate through a process called stereotactic radiosurgery, a noninvasive method of treating tumors with high-dose radiation precisely aimed from different angles. The result is greatly increased accuracy that spares healthy tissue.
There are about 180 Cyberknife systems around the world; the one at Cyberknife of Long Island is among the most advanced.
For more information visit www.cyberknifeoflongisland.com or www.cancer-radiation.com
# # #
Since 1988, North Shore Radiation Therapy has provided premier radiation therapy services in New York. The center offers Cyberknife Radiosurgery, 3-D Conformal Radiation Therapy, IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy), IGRT (Image Guided Radiation Therapy), Rapid Arc, Partial Breast, Skin and Gynecological Brachytherapy. North Shore Radiation Therapy is the most experienced in all modalities of prostate cancer radiation therapy including radiosurgery and IGRT in Suffolk County. The centers are staffed by board certified physicians and highly trained clinicians with expertise in utilizing the most advanced radiation therapy technology. Located in Huntington and Smithtown, New York the centers are open Monday through Friday and accept all insurance plans. Appointments can be made by calling (631) 427-2273. You can visit the website at www.cyberknifeoflongisland.com or www.cancer-radiation.com.