News By Tag
* More Tags...
News By Location
Guide to Advertising Law. When is placement, timing, and content in accordance with the law?
When is placement, timing, and content in accordance with the law? The basics are common sense, but the depth and complexity of these basic rules are perplexing.Where does the FTC regulate when it comes to Social Media?
1. The San Diego Unified school board decides not to use ads for additional revenue
2. Britain’s advertising watchdog has censured an Italian ice cream manufacturer over an advertisement depicting a heavily pregnant nun that appeared ahead of a papal visit to the UK.
3. Online Ads, Privacy Remain in FTC Crosshairs- A senior official at the Federal Trade Commission hinted on Wednesday that the agency is planning to prod online advertisers and Web companies to adopt new education tools and data-collection restrictions in an effort to protect consumer privacy.
When is placement, timing, and content in accordance with the law? The basics are common sense, but the depth and complexity of these basic rules are perplexing. The ever evolving Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is consistently probing firms and enforcing advertising laws & regulations. Today, we have an assortment of new mediums to advertise in. Where does the FTC regulate when it comes to Social Media?
Social media regulatory topics to consider:
* Benefiting from the exploding popularity of social media sites without ceding too much control over IP assets
* Mitigating liability when engaging in online practices that might lure underage users
- ensuring COPPA and CARU compliance for social networking sites
* Responding to negative consumer commentary on social networking sites
- determining when a posting rises to an actionable level
- taking down inflammatory postings
- protecting against claims of defamation and libel
- granting users the right to free speech
* Determining a company’s liability when a consumer posts comments or video online
The emergence of social media web sites such as Facebook and Twitter are changing how companies interact with consumers. In addition to social media, mobile marketing is just developing. Developing a clear policy for compliant use of mobile marketing will be the latest challenge advertisers and marketers will face. There will be a need for understanding the interplay between the FTC and the FCC. Which agency do you turn to when questions arise? How about minimizing liability concerns with location-based services?
Many firms are yet to be aware of meeting the requirements for pre-recorded messages on cell phones, or developing rules for SMS and wireless email! If you are not prepared, get the insights you need now!
American Conference Institute’s 24th National Advanced Forum on Advertising Law is tailored to provide high-level, detailed information that you can apply directly to your practice. Our faculty of experienced counsel from a diverse, cross-section of industries will go well beyond identifying trends. They will provide you with expert negotiating strategies and practical tips for avoiding the latest legal and regulatory pitfalls. Learn how other companies are:
• Structuring and synchronizing promotions that incorporate social networking and other online sites alongside more traditional channels
• Identifying all third-party content that raises IP ownership concerns or requires authorization
• Safeguarding consumer privacy and setting parameters for using information
• Weighing whether to make environmental claims about their products
• Incorporating recent guidelines into endorsement contracts and programs
• Keeping federal and state regulators at bay
In addition to providing the most comprehensive content, ACI’s 24th National Advanced Forum on Advertising Law also delivers excellent networking opportunities. Most of our attendees are in-house counsel and marketing executives from leading advertisers. There will be many opportunities throughout the conference to interact with other attendees and exchange strategies. This advanced forum offers you the opportunity to meet leaders in the industry and have substantive discussions on the changing issues faced by advertisers today.
Visit our legal blog for more information:
24th National Advanced Forum on Advertising:
# # #
A unique organization, American Conference Institute is devoted to providing the business intelligence that senior decision-makers need to respond to challenges both here in the US, and around the world.
Staffed by industry specialists, lawyers and other professionals, American Conference Institute operates as a think tank, monitoring trends and developments in all major industry sectors, the law, and public policy, with a view to providing information on the leading edge.
Visit us at http://www.americanconference.com/
Page Updated Last on: Sep 17, 2010