News By Tag
News By Location
6 Quick Tips To Get To Sleep
Many people have problems falling asleep at night, often because their minds keep running at full-speed even though they feel physically tired. Here are six techniques that may help:
By: Connect Fitness
2) Stay away from reading fiction before bed. Fiction stimulates your imagination and does not help you relax your mind and get to sleep. Mental energy is not what you want when trying to fall asleep.
3) Take a few minutes to quiet your mind. This will help stop that ceaseless thinking. Ways to quiet your mind are: slow and deepen your breathing; think of a few things that went well with the day and be grateful for them; release the emotions attached to anything that didn't go well; stop consciously thinking about things. That last one means to stop trying to think about any issues you have, and stop consciously putting your attention on them. If something is still on your mind, write it down on a notepad next to the bed and resolve to deal with it tomorrow. This is really an important step because if you haven't released something that's bothering you before you try to go to sleep, you'll be replaying it over and over unless you have extremely good control of your thoughts.
4) Keep away from any form of caffeine after 1:00 pm in the afternoon. No coffee, decaf, tea or soda with caffeine. If you are susceptible to the effects of caffeine, it will make it harder for you to quiet your mind when you want to sleep.
5) Focus on your body and relax one area at a time starting at your feet. This both helps your body physically relax and helps you keep your attention on something other than your to-do list, what's going on at work, how mad you are at someone, etc...
6) Visualize walking down an endless stairwell. Keep your attention on your feet as you visualize your walking. This is similar to number 5 above. Giving your attention to something mindless and repetitive helps your brain shut down.
Judy Braley is an author, an attorney, and a parent of two. Her personal development blog with free articles and information on inspiration for your life can be found at GrowFromWithin.com. Copyright © 2007 Wherett Inc.
# # #
Connect Fitness is a not for profit organisation located on the grounds of the University of Western Sydney with 4 Gyms now in operation over the Kingswood, Hawkesbury, Bankstown & Campbelltown campuses.