News By Tag
News By Place
Santa Clara County Children Deserve Bill of Rights
United Way Silicon Valley adopted the Bill of Rights for the Children and Youth of Santa Clara County. The organization is focused on helping children and youth achieve their potential. Local youth need education and opportunities to succeed.
“By adopting the Bill of Rights for Children and Youth, we are standing up for the young people in our community who need education and opportunities to succeed,” said Carole Leigh Hutton, president and CEO of United Way Silicon Valley. “We need to ensure our children are safe, secure and healthy so they can have a sense of hope for their future.”
United Way Silicon Valley is focused on helping children and youth achieve their potential through a number of programs and partnerships. The organization works to ensure children have access to quality and affordable childcare and early learning opportunities. United Way Silicon Valley partners with parents, community-based organizations, and schools to improve education rates and provide after-school and mentoring programs for at-risk youth.
The Bill of Rights lists a number of rights that all children deserve, including:
• A healthy mind, body and spirit that enables them to maximize their potential.
• Develop a healthy attachment to a parent, guardian, or caregiver and an ongoing
relationship with a caring and supportive adult.
• Have their essential needs met – nutritious food, shelter, clothing, health care, and
• A safe and healthy environment, including homes, schools, neighborhoods and
• Access to a 21st century education that promotes success in life, in future careers and
a love of lifelong learning.
• Training in life skills that will prepare them to live independently, be self-sufficient and
contribute to their community.
• Employment opportunities with protections from unfair labor practices.
• Freedom from mistreatment, abuse and neglect.
• A voice in matters that affect them.
• A sense of hope for their future.
United Way Silicon Valley is focused on the building blocks for a good life: income, education and health. To drive positive change, United Way Silicon Valley helps people help themselves by identifying critical needs, mobilizing the caring power of the community, and aligning resources to achieve the best solutions.
For more information about United Way Silicon Valley, visit http://www.uwsv.org or follow us: http://twitter.com/