March 23, 2010
-- Some Venetian palaces have remained in history for their beauty, as examples of Gothic and Byzantine architecture, which has left deep scars in this city. An interesting example of Venetian-Byzantine house dating from the thirteenth century, is Ca' da Mosto, which was the home of the family of the Da Mosto, famous Venetian navigators. From the sixteenth to the eighteenth century, the building housed the Albergo del Leon Bianco, then the most popular among the hotels in Venice. This is one of the oldest palaces in Venice, in the Cannaregio district, overlooking the Grand Canal, not far from the Rialto Bridge.
Another very famous building is the Palazzo Corner, a large Renaissance palace in Venice, located in the San Marco district and overlooking the Grand Canal. Now is the seat of the Province of Venice and the Prefecture. Its facade is divided into two horizontal bands: the architect left the lower area decorated with rusticated motif and brightened up the upper floor with a series of arches that amplify the chiaroscuro effect of the building, exposing the classical array. The tripartite division of the facade typical Venetian is identifiable only in the central portico and balcony that unites the three windows above.
Just minutes from the station and Piazzale Roma you can visit one of the most beautiful Venetian palaces, Ca' Foscari, who for centuries attracts famous people, famous artists and visitors from around the world. Its strategic location and scenic "in turn of the canal" was one of the reasons that prompted the doge Francesco Foscari, who gave his name to the palace, to purchase the building in 1452 and rebuilt it in the architectural principles and style that made it an extraordinary example of Venetian Gothic architecture. From the building one can admire a unique panorama from the Rialto Bridge to the Accademia, which has inspired artists of all time.
The building is now home to the prestigious University Ca' Foscari of Venice.
Another historical mansion is Ca' Giustiniani. It is a Gothic building of the last transition period (1474); formerly called “dei Giustinian”. It was the home (1432) of the Patriarch of Castello for some time, the Blessed Lorenzo Giustiniani, it underwent renovations and additions even in the facade. The interior retains the seventeenth-
century decoration. It is now owned by the municipality and the seat of municipal departments, and offices of the Society of Culture "La Biennale” of Venice.
Famous for its garden, is Ca' Morosini del Giardin, which is located in the Cannaregio district. The garden is cared for by the Dominican Sisters, this garden, although does not reflect the original arrangement maintains the features typically Venetian with a garden that blends with the vegetable garden among flowers and fruit trees.
This article was written by Martina Meneghetti with support from Pensioneaccademia.it