News By Tag
Top 10 Ways to Protect Against Hackers
Sindel Technologies experts share their top 10 precautions every business and organization should take to protect IT data
“The bottom line is this—it shouldn’t take a cataclysmic event to make us aware and accountable for implementing best practices to protect data and keep your business running at maximum productivity,”
Here are the Top 10 security precautions to protect your IT:
1. Use Firewalls: ‘Firewalls’
2. Leave it to the Experts: Work with experienced IT professionals instead of asking non-IT employees to bear the brunt of technology issues in the workspace.
3. Patch properly: Patches are small pieces of programming that update software applications like Microsoft Outlook. Their purpose is to make the applications more secure. Yet far too many people, professional engineers and IT people included, are not aware of the essential software patches available for Microsoft and other systems. Keep yourself updated.
4. Be vigilant with email: Email clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express and other Microsoft products dominate the world in terms of applications and people using them, so they are highly targeted by the bad guys.
5. Train everyone: All the employees in your organization need to be aware of their individual accountabilities to protect data and systems.
6. Know that not all viruses are created equal: There are three major types; Trojans, hoaxes and true viruses that do lots of damage.The first two types are triggered by the end user often without him or her knowing it. The malware, or as it’s also known, malicious software, is then allowed to spread its wickedness.
7. Choose hosting companies that are following best practices: Ask about and understand whether your hosting company is following industry best practices to protect against attacks. For example, your hosting company should regularly strengthen servers, update with patches or service packs, and conduct regular internal and external audits.
8. Use virus-protection software: Protect yourself against viruses with the proper anti-virus and spyware technologies that need constant updating. Consider buying a volume license pack for virus protection.
9. Back up. Back up. Back up. Every night. And don’t let your tapes and drives “walk” out your door in the wrong hands.
10. Encrypt your emails: Emails are like postcards in the paper world. It’s easy for everyone to read them. Encrypt them, especially when dealing sensitive information.
The risks of losing valuable and sensitive data is real. And the threat of losing productivity is an even bigger issue, often resulting in astronomical costs. Being aware and implementing best practices is essential to the ongoing viability of any business or organization.
# # #
About Sindel Technologies, LLC
Based in Tempe, Ariz., Sindel Technologies, LLC is an award-winning provider of information infrastructure technology and solutions. For more than 15 years, Sindel has been creating solutions that enable businesses and organizations to transform themselves by leveraging its technology. Additional information about Sindel can be found online at www.sindel.com or by calling 480-968-5006.