Coventry And Warwickshire Lead Regional Engagement With 1,000 Days Until 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire lead regional engagement with 1,000 days until 2012 Saturday, October 31 marks 1,000 days to go until the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
By: Advent Communicatins
Saturday, October 31 marks 1,000 days to go until the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
And Coventry and Warwickshire could be set to play a fundamental role in hosting the 2012 Games after the £113 million Ricoh Arena was named as one of the five potential Midlands venues to stage preliminary Olympic football games in 2012.
Hosting Olympic football could be just a small part of the involvement Coventry and Warwickshire has with 2012 as the region’s engagement with the Games continues to lead the way across the UK.
Working with Coventry City Council and Coventry Transport Museum, the Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership for the 2012 Games are pursuing the London 2012 Live Site opportunity, which would see a 25-square-metre live screen added to Coventry city centre.
Over the coming months, schools and sports clubs will take part in a new project, 12 for 2012, a Festival of Sport, which aims to give all year seven school children a fun, enjoyable experience of Olympic and Paralympic sport.
Through the region’s rich cultural sector, local organisations are leading two out of the 12 National Cultural Olympiad projects – “Artists Taking the Lead”, through Imagineer Productions, and the “World Shakespeare Festival”, through the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC), plus a number of other partners and their innovative projects are applying for the London 2012 Inspire Mark.
In addition businesses across the sub-region have registered with the national procurement process, Compete For, and are gradually winning their share of 2012 contracts.
The region also aims to attract teams and athletes for their 2012 preparation through the ten facilities that have been selected for the official London 2012 Pre-Games Training Camp Guide.
Tom Clift, Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership Manager for the 2012 Games, said: “There are many tangible ways in which our sub-region is engaging in the 2012 Games and with 1,000 days to go, today we mark this unique milestone with 12 milestones of our own that we aim to deliver over the next three years.
“Between now and London 2012, we will build on all our achievements to date and continue in our efforts to give everyone in our sub-region their own Olympic experience and make sure Coventry and Warwickshire does not miss out on any of the benefits that arise from this truly once in a life time opportunity.”
To keep up to date about all the region’s plans and achievements visit www.cswp.org.uk/
Notes to editors:
The Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership for the 2012 Games is working with many local partners including both Coventry and Warwick Universities, CV One, Coventry City Council, Warwickshire County Council and NHS Coventry to make sure everyone in the region can share the once in a life time opportunity provided by the 2012 Games.
The Partnerships 12 Milestones to be achieved from now to London 2012 are:
1. To be selected as a Host City / Host Venue for the London 2012 Olympic football competition.
2. To secure a Live Site for Coventry city centre through the Cultural Olympiad live sites programme.
3. To work with the Royal Shakespeare Company, raising the profile and supporting the delivery of the World Shakespeare Festival project.
4. To work with Imagineer Productions, raising the profile and supporting the delivery of the Artist’s Taking the Lead, Godiva Awakes project.
5. To secure at least one London 2012 Pre-Games Training Camp.
6. To have every Coventry and Warwickshire school registered as part of the London 2012 Get Set Education programme.
7. To secure visits from the Olympic and Paralympic Torch Relays.
8. To win our fair share of London 2012 business contracts, measuring the economic impact.
9. To celebrate all of our athletes who achieve selection for Team GB.
10. To have at least 12 projects in the region gain London 2012 Inspire Mark accreditation.
11. To achieve the three objectives assigned for each of our six flagship projects.
12. To work with relevant local partners to use London 2012 as a catalyst to inspire local communities to become more physically active.
2 Edison Building
Coventry CV1 4JA
Tel: 024 7663 3636
# # #
Advent Communications is a well-established public relations consultancy based in Coventry.
In ten years it has built a reputation as a practical provider of news driven PR to a range of industry sectors.