Irish author Gary J Byrnes Encourages a No Vote on Lisbon Treaty
Gary J Byrnes, author of Limerick-set crime thriller PURE MAD, is encouraging a rejection of the Lisbon treaty and a rejection of NAMA, the Irish Government's plan to bail out failed Irish banks.
By: Gary J Byrnes
1. The treaty is unchanged since it was rejected by the Irish electorate in 2008. Another vote makes a mockery of democracy. Why can't we have another go at choosing our Government? (The current one didn't work out too well.)
2. The treaty is simply a dressed-down version of the EU Constitution, which was rejected by the electorates of France and the Netherlands.
3. The EU has show itself to be impotent in dealing with disgraceful Irish decisions such as the routing of the M3 motorway through the historic Tara Valley. So what's the bloody point?
4. The European Union is undemocratic by nature, with all key decisions being taken with no possibility of intervention by the electorate. The Lisbon treaty makes no attempt to address the democratic deficit at the heart of EU decisionmaking.
5. Ireland cannot be excluded from the EU by voting against Lisbon as the treaty cannot then be ratified. If the treaty is rejected, the EU will have to come up with a fresh solution to the mess it created by not revising its decisionmaking processes before enlargement. If the treaty is passed by the Irish electorate, unanimity in decisionmaking is no longer required for decisions to be made, so there is NO TURNING BACK.
5a. If Lisbon is rejected, the Irish Government will surely fall, which means that NAMA will fall too...
TOP 5 REASONS WHY NAMA IS A BAD IDEA:
1. The Irish Government thinks that it's a good idea.
2. Taxpayers and their children and their grandchildren are bailing out the private shareholders in Irish banks. Why?
3. No Irish banker, developer or central banker will ever go to jail for ruining a nation's economy.
4. The Irish property bubble was generated and nursed by the Fianna Fail-led Governments of the past decade. They didn't foresee the problems and so their basic competence is in question. Are they sufficiently competent to think through the solution? Not a snowball's chance.
5. The Irish Government (including John Gormley's Green Party) thinks that it's a good idea.
Find out more about Gary J Byrnes and his novels at www.garyjbyrnes.com
# # #
Publishing quality fiction from Ireland to a global market with Amazon.com's print-on-demand service.
Page Updated Last on: Sep 17, 2009