News By Tag
News By Place
Peas In Their Pods Aims To Keep Children Safe
The staff of Peas In Their Pods offer assistance to families of missing African American children with the creation of the RILYA Alert system.
“Statistically, approximately 42 percent of missing children are African American, yet many times these children receive the least amount of media exposure. This negatively impacts the likelihood that they will be safely reunited with their loved ones. Peas In Their Pod’s goal is to spread awareness, and improve the reporting and search system as it pertains to African American children” states Ms. Borders.
The organization created the RILYA Alert System which was designed to disseminate information regarding missing African American Children quickly and effectively, thereby improving the odds that they will be found. Founder, Ms. Lowery adds, the RILYA Alert is not a replacement of the Amber Alert, but rather an extension created to work for children when the criteria for an Amber Alert is not met. Because the criteria for a RILYA Alert is more inclusive, we can often help in finding a child who otherwise may not get the media attention necessary.”
The criteria for a Rilya Alert is:
• The abduction is of a child age 17 years or younger
• The parent must have contacted law enforcement to report child missing.
• A RILYA Alert may also be issued if the child is classified as a runaway by the police. If the parent has reported missing child and has convincing evidence that child does not have a history of running away, an alert will be initiated within the 1st hour.
• The law-enforcement agency believes the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
• All children of color meeting the criteria for the Amber Alert will also receive the RILYA Alert If these criteria are met. This information may include descriptions and pictures of the missing child, the suspected abductor, and a suspected vehicle along with any other information available and valuable to identifying the child and suspect.
Peas In Their Pods is comprised of a regional staff of volunteer representatives throughout the United States, and their website provides information and parenting advice with the goal of protecting children of all color from becoming victimized or abused. Janice and Gaétane host a weekly radio webcast every Sunday, at 7:00 PM Central at www.blogtalkradio.com/
For more information, visit www.peasintheirpods.com or email peasintheirpods@
# # #
Peas In Their Pods is an organization that helps to spread awareness about the epidemic rate at which African American children are abducted.