News By Tag
News By Location
NSW Police get some tips on leadership
Dane Simmonds of Forced Results talks about his leadership style and his experiences as an infantry section commander and security team leader in war zones to sergeants of the NSW Police Force.
By: Forced Results
Dane drew upon his ten year service in the Royal Australian Regiment and his time as a security contractor in Iraq. "What makes a good leader is a combination of many things. We can all be given the authority to command, not all of us have the skill to lead" said Dane.
What makes an effective leader is a topic of constant study and discussion, where everyone seems to have an opinion and where definitions of leadership are as varied as the explanations.
Dane suggested the sergeants in attendance remember some of the key qualities that make a good leader.
• Lead by example
• Know your limitations
• Know and recognise your teams limitations
• Always share the credit
• Be truthful to all, in particular, yourself
• Communicate effectively
• Treat people with dignity and compassion
• Know where and when to be there
• Let juniors be involved and permit initiative
• Praise in public, reprimand in private
• Honour your traditions and customs
• Be loyal up and down the chain of command
• Know your people and their families
• Do the right thing, no matter how difficult and painful it is
• With authority, one must accept responsibility
• Know your mission and keep focused on it
• Continue to grow professionally
• Stamina, personal health and physical fitness are paramount
• Officers want to come to work and contribute, take advantage of it
• Promise only what you can deliver
• Actions speak louder than words
• Be technically competent
Dane delivered his leadership style and command experience to officers of the NSW Police Force and welcomes interest from other organisations who want to get the best from its workforce. http://www.forcedresults.com.au
# # #
Forced Results is committed to helping YOU create the most outstanding body and healthy lifestyle. Our experience in ultimate body and lifestyle management has us travelling to our clients as well as Live-In Lifestyle & Weight Management programs.