News By Tag
News By Location
Firstco reduces Heathrow Express’ energy consumption
Firstco, one of the UK’s leading technical consultancy, project management and systems integration specialists, recently developed methods to save Heathrow Express money and time by helping them to reduce their carbon burden.
In compliance with their environmental philosophy, Heathrow Express are endeavouring to reduce energy consumption while simultaneously minimising the impact their operations have on the environment.
Firstco’s role was to determine what potential energy savings could be made through reduced lighting power consumption without compromising the safe operation of the Heathrow Express service.
Firstco suggested a number of viable initiatives to Heathrow Express. Further investigation resulted in projects that are currently in the implementation phase and should provide a return after two years based on current energy costs.
There were a number of identified areas of potential saving specifically:-
• Escape Shafts– change to normal-off and use remote control function
• Station Areas – Platforms and Concourses—reduce lighting levels out of hours
• Back of House Areas not in common use—use movement sensors
Detailed surveys were carried out in the station and shafts to determine the effect of reduced lighting levels and potential savings. At Heathrow Central these included power measurements of the lighting circuits and luminance readings performed with several lighting configurations. At Custom House escape and intervention shaft, power measurements were performed in order to assess the potential savings from switching off and controlling lights remotely.
Kieran Tully of Heathrow Express said “As a key part of their business strategy Heathrow Express are reducing their CO2 output, energy consumption and costs. The benefits not only include cost reduction but it also reflects their commitment to corporate responsibility, climate change and continuing environmental improvements. Firstco have been instrumental in helping Heathrow Express develop innovative solutions which enhance their brand equity and manage their assets to achieve their business goals. Heathrow Express work closely with key business partners such as Firstco to constantly look to improve upon the existing high standards.”
This project has opened up more opportunities for Firstco to help clients reduce energy consumption and costs. For example, by using thermal imaging technology and radiation detector cameras heat loss in terminals might be significantly reduced.
Notes for Editors:
About Firstco (http://www.firstco.uk.com)
Established in 1998, Firstco is now a major force in the areas of technical consultancy (http://www.firstco.uk.com/
Firstco’s in-house team includes specialists in: electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, software engineering, consulting, project management and commissioning management.
Through its core services of consultancy, system delivery and project management, Firstco provides its clients with a total solution from concept to commissioning and maintenance, based on collaboration and integration with clients and partners.
Its mission is to advise, deliver and support high quality control and communications solutions that improve transport and workplace environments, create value for clients and make a positive difference to their end users.
Firstco’s approach is based on four core values:
• Service Excellence - achieving client confidence by truly understanding the business drivers and the project requirements, delivering the agreed solution to plan, managing issues and communicating clearly and regularly - while being easy to do business with and enjoyable to work with.
• Integrity - applying professional and technical expertise to ensure the right solution for the right reasons, as well as being open, honest and fair in all of its dealings.
• Teamwork - deploying the right blend of talent and experience to get the job done, and integrating effectively with client and third party personnel and activities.
• Development - continually seeking to enhance its own capabilities and processes, enabling it to remain innovative and challenging - and sharing this with its clients.
# # #
Established in 1998, Firstco is now a major force in the areas of technical consultancy, project management and systems integration. Working in a range of industries – notably transport, especially rail installations and airports; power and construction