News By Tag
* Wisegiving Seal
* Standards For Excellence
* International Ngos
* More Tags...
* More Industries...
News By Place
Corporate Social responsibility Kenya - CSR Kenya has been launched
A new non-profit organization has been launched to watch over those who claim they are doing good.
The Center for Social Responsibility and Accountability (CESRA) aims to ensure charities and non-profit organizations are accountable - and that donor funds get to where they are supposed to go.
CESRA founder and managing director Julie Nyaga says she started the organization because donors have lost trust in Kenyan-based charities and non-profit organizations. And for good reason. While many of these organizations do an excellent job and really benefit those in need, others are briefcase organizations or simply mismanage their funds.
"Most of the donors whom I approached complained that NGOs in the country diverted funds so their bond members benefited, rather than spending money on helping the targeted groups," said Ms. Nyaya.
CESRA aims to help tackle this problem. The organization offers a Seal of Wise Giving - a mark that shows charity and non-profit organizations meet over 30 standards of accountability and eight guiding principles. These standards address everything from governance to fundraising and finances. Once organizations can show they meet these standards, they are awarded the seal and receive CESRA membership.
CESRA accounts for all funds received by all of its members every year and makes these accounts publicly available through the CESRA web site.
There are currently five charities and non-profit organizations registered with CESRA. But many more remain in the pipeline.
And while CESRA will likely help to eliminate the problem of briefcase organizations, it will also help pave the way for legitimate charities and non-profit organizations that may have previously been denied funds.
CESRA's mission is to strengthen and support non profit and charitable organizations' ability to serve the public, promote the highest standards of ethics and accountability in their governance and management while encouraging corporate companies in Kenya to integrate CSR into the way they do business
Ms. Nyaya is also the founder of Valley of Tumaini, an organization that cares for destitute children.
For further information:
Ms. Julie Nyaga
# # #
ABOUT CENTER FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY & ACCOUNTABILITY
We are a charity watchdog organization that was formed through the merger of CSR Kenya to help donors create thoughtful, effective philanthropy to Kenyan smaller non profit organization.
1) Strengthen and support non profits ability to serve the public and promote the highest standards of ethic and accountability in their governance and management.
2) Provide comprehensive data on Kenyan non profits who have adopted accountability and connect them with donors, foundations, businesses and government agencies.
3) Supporting corporate companies in Kenya to integrate Social responsibility into the way they do business for better partnership.
4) Work in membership with international NGOs and companies that support effective charitable giving.
5) Work in collaboration with stakeholders to stop and expose charities in Kenya who "claims" to be doing something with donor money.