Why is China's beidou terminal so expensive?
Why China's Beidou-1 navigation terminal price is hight? the point is that it is using expensive imported Chips. However, China has found replacement.
The main reason why it is not popular as expected is that Beidou-1 terminal is far more expensive than US's GPS terminal. Its price is about 20,000 CNY, while normal GPS only costs several thousand CNY.
I have been curious about why its price is so high. As Qi Faren (Chinese Academy of Engineering)
Today I learn that in February 2008, a chip called "Pilotage No. 1" has been developed by a company in Shanghai. The chip is fully demestically-
Hope that it is true.
How Beidou-1 works, the following procedure is utilized:
1. A signal is transmitted skyward by a remote terminal.
2. Each of the geostationary satellites receive the signal.
3. Each satellite sends the accurate time of when each received the signal to a ground station.
4. The ground station calculates the longitude and latitude of the remote terminal, and determines the altitude from a relief map.
5. The ground station sends the remote terminal's 3D position to the satellites.
6. The satellites broadcast the calculated position to the remote terminal.
# # #
About: China defense, military, blog articles, I will try to give my ideas and points of view. Could you please leave some comments if you have any opinion or thought?