News By Tag
* Cartridge World
* Ink Cartridges
* Cell Phone
* More Tags...
News By Place
Chicago Machine Teams With Cartridge World Chicago For E-waste Event
Chicago Machine Lacrosse and Cartridge World Encourage Chicagoans to Responsibly Recycle Electronics, Ink Cartridges
WHEN: Sunday, July 20, 2008
12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
WHERE: Toyota Park
7000 S. Harlem Avenue
Bridgeview, IL 60455
• Electronic waste accounts for 70 percent of the overall toxic waste that is currently in landfills
• In 2005 alone almost two million tons of e-waste ended up in landfills
• In addition to valuable metals like aluminum, electronics often contain hazardous materials like lead and mercury
• It does not take much lead or mercury to contaminate an area’s soil or water supply
• It takes at least 450 years for one ink cartridge to break down in a landfill, allowing harmful materials to seep into the earth
• Some components made of industrial grade plastics will take over one thousand years to decompose
• Seventy percent of cartridges used worldwide are thrown out
• It’s estimated that there are over 500 million used cell phones ready for disposal now
• Cell phone batteries were originally composed of nickel and cadmium (Ni-Cd batteries)
• Cadmium is linked as a human carcinogen that causes lung and liver damage
• Mercury is contained in computer circuit boards, which also include lead and cadmium
• With the fact that the FCC is going to require all televisions to run a digital signal by February 19, 2009, we could see a lot of lead from older TV’s (cathode ray tubes – CRT) heading for landfills
E-Waste Recycling Event Pg2
About the Chicago Machine
The Chicago Machine is Chicago’s outdoor professional men’s lacrosse team, members of the Western Conference of Major League Lacrosse (MLL). Now in their third season, the Chicago Machine plays at TOYOTA PARK, 15 minutes southwest of downtown Chicago. Led by head coach John Combs, the team has top players from nationally ranked college programs such as Notre Dame, Cornell, UMass, Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Navy and Syracuse. Season tickets and individual game tickets are now available. For game schedule, ticketing, team and player information, visit www.chicagomachine.com. To receive score and team news updates, text “Machine” to 28546.
About Cartridge World Chicago
Cartridge World provides consumers and businesses with an alternative to save money and reduce the impact of millions of cartridges thrown away into landfills each year. Most Cartridge World cartridges are refilled or remanufactured locally, the most environmentally friendly way to utilize empty printer cartridges. The Chicagoland area is home to 30 of the company’s over 1,600 stores worldwide. It uses only the highest quality imaging supplies, and is the leader in the refilling and remanufacturing of empty printer cartridges. Each store refills cartridges for most home and small business printers, including fax, printer, copier, postage and multi-function, by all major brands, including HP, Dell, Canon, Lexmark and Epson. Cartridge World stores also stock a wide assortment of brand name cartridges and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Cartridge World is a proud member of the Environmental Protection Agency Waste Wise program. Visit www.cartridgeworldusa.com.